Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi! Just diagnosed and scared!

curlyblues8287ccurlyblues8287 Posts: 9
edited 01/22/2016 - 9:38 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi there! This is my first time here in this forum and need someone to talk to.. So my post maybe long..but please help!

I work at Mercedes production on an assembly line.. I know I probably hurt my neck from working there but it didn't happen at work... So it's not worker's comp :/

So I was sleeping and felt like I was half awake and I turned my neck and felt a thick pop...I feel back asleep. I woke up an hour later and I panicked because I couldn't move my neck.. It hurt just my neck sitting still.. My husband rushed me to the hospital and after being there for 4 hours in agony and extreme pain I finally got medicine to help my pain.. They did an X-ray and said I had cervical traphezius spams? So I was discharged with steriods and norco..So two days later I followed up with my physician.. He sent me out for an MRI.. 2 days later I got a call from his nurse stating that my doctor is sending me to a neurosurgeon because I had a bulging disc that's pinching a nerve..

When I went to the neurologist he did some physical motion tests and then showed me and my husband my MRI.. Instead of 1 bulging disc.. There was 2 bulging discs and 1 completely torn disc that's laying on a nerve and leaking fluid which is causing more pain..

He suggested first : neck brace.. steriods.. nerve pain medicine..ibuprofen..

I got back in 10 days to see him.. If my symptoms haven't eased up he's gonna send me to get a cortisone shot (is that a nerve block or will that even help my case?)

After the shot he's gonna have me wait 3-5 weeks.. If my symptoms haven't eased up then he said surgery will be the last resort..

The thing is I can't do all this waiting cause my job is on the line and I'm on FMLA.. and that only covers 12 weeks!

So don't know my options! Surgery sounds really scary considering where that cut you at.. Maybe could I suggest a nerve block? Will going to a chiropractor help my diagnosis?

Thanks for reading!

• HaloKitty2332HHaloKitty2332 Posts: 4
    edited 01/29/2016 - 5:14 AM
    Chiropractor would be a very bad idea. I'd be concerned about him breaking your neck while cracking it. But that's just me.

Surgery can be scary, but if you can't live with the pain...and your life is being compromised...go for it. Try not to worry so much! If you lose your job over it, just have faith that God has something better in store for you. A better job with a better promotion. It's better to live believing greater things are ahead, despite the trials, than it is to feel disappointed over a loss.

Forum Rule:
    5.06 You agree not to post information that is considered to be formal medical advice.

Your post contains wording that may be considered as giving medical advice. It is very important that everyone understand that
    there are no medical professionals on this site, so therefore any comments are solely opinions based on personal experiences.

They should never been taken as medical fact.
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,139
    I agree with HaloKitty2332, Chiropractors make me nervous.

I don't think that the surgery is that scary, the alternative, living with the pain, is more scary to me. The instant relief that surgery can provide is awesome.

I am a fan of traction, which your surgeon can prescribe for you, then you would probably go to a Physical Therapist to purchase it and get training on how to do it. Traction provided a lot of relief for me, which let me continue working until surgery - although your job is much more physical than mine is.

Spine-health Moderator

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Hello,

I understand your fear and that your world may be spinning right now. However if you can take a breath or two and move your focus away from a time line and focus on what is best for your body you will have a higher probability of a desireable outcome. My advice is to get three opinions and do your due dillegence while you are resting for the next 10 days. This will be tough but necessary. Google creditable sources and make calls to referrals. Making big decisions in a choatic state of mind is risky. After a week or so when you settle down and have information then begin to choose your next move.
    Here are my thoughts on your injury; NO chiropractor, NO joint block, you have a ruptured disc which will take time to heal, definetly wait to do surgery (you can always do this but can't undo it) and learn as much as you can. I hear the synthetic disc replacements that have been going on in Germany for a while are very successful and I have a family member looking into that for himself. You may heal up and be pain free. Many people walk around with bulding discs and have no pain. Wait and see what happends after the injured disc heals.
    BTW a corisone shot is an anti-inflammatory steriod and could relieve some pain but it will not heal the injury and could delay the healing process in my opinion. Again you can do this anytime but if you can handle the pain for the 10 days try that first. Cortisone is also destructive to surrounding tissue when over used.
    Greg Thompson
  • Svrefibro@40SSvrefibro@40 Posts: 2
    edited 01/31/2016 - 8:10 AM
    It is very overwhelming when ur health and job are both on the line. I've been there. But you first need to know that God is in control. And if you have doctors that ur trust, I wouldn't second guess the surgery. My sister and best friend have both had the surgery and were much better after it.
    As far as FMLA, you should have a year! It may not be all paid. But you have a year of FMLA. Now if you have been out a bit , that time will count towards your FMLA time. But unless you have taken FMLA already, you have a ur. But it starts over every year. Read your emolyee handbook. Btw, why is the new Dx exactly? I'm not sure if I missed it.
    I hope this helped

Please do not use abbreviated text talk!!

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Liz, Spine-health Moderator
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,806
    Confused ?

1. Chiropractor break neck , come on that's ludicrous
    2. God is in control? The poster is asking for medical related help regardless of what a person believes and the poster did not say anything about God , they could be atheist for all we know. I personally would be offended by the posts about God if I was posting for the first time cause it's not my belief. Even though you are trying to help people here need facts and concrete help.
    3. Cortizone not helping to heal, that is definitely not correct . The body will have initial inflammation to heal if it remains past the normal phase the inflammation can become tissue destructive and may need anti inflammatory to calm down and allow proper healing . It's case by case.
    4. FMLA for a year? I am almost certain that is not correct they only are required to hold your position I think 3-4 months, unless it's different state to state. I am currently going through it and for certain mine is that time. Short term disability is a year normally I think.

Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • L.A.SpineyLL.A.Spiney Posts: 157
    edited 01/31/2016 - 1:20 PM
    1. My personal opinion is don't waste your time and money with chiros. I spent close to a $1,000 with chiros when I was first diagnosed and it was a complete waste and did nothing for me.

2. Bulging discs are not necessarily an indication for surgery. Are they moderate or minor bulges? Is your spinal cord impacted? Those are the questions to ask. I have bulging discs at every level of my neck, but my surgeon left them all alone except for the one level where my spinal cord was being seriously squeezed.

3. Surgery is not scary. I am 11 days post-ACDF and feel better than I have in years. I had about a four day recovery from surgery. Still not driving, nor bending (I am using a grabber), but other than that feel great. What to me is scary is (1) I could have suffered permanent impairment if I had waited too long for surgery; (2) wasting time and money on "alternative" treatments.

Good luck and I hope you get some good solutions.
    C6-C7 fusion -January 20, 2016
  • Hi everybody! Thank you for taking the time to comment! A surgery coordinator had called me and I had asked if there was any alternatives or nerve blocks that I can try cause I need to go to work ASAP because of my FMLA.. After 12 weeks being on FMLA and if I'm not back at work they will fire me..

So the surgery coordinator called me back and said the neurologist does not suggest nerve blocks because after I go back to work I'll be right back where I started so he wants to go ahead and fix the problem since my job is very physical..

So I'll be having an anterior cervical discectomy fusion done here in about 4 days.. He's gonna be working on C4-5-6.. I am very nervous!!!
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    edited 01/31/2016 - 6:22 PM
    I keep saying "I'm not old" but then, in some aspects, I am!
    I just cannot tell my whole story again or I'll barf but my initial injury was when I was 8 years old. I was in horrible pain but no one listened to me. When I was 18 I could look for medical help but, by then, no one would listen to me.

Now I am 49 and I have a list of medical issues. Maybe some would have been easier had they been treated way back when but some, genetics. What can I say? What I have learned, and the hard way, is patience. I remember thinking I could not handle the pain another day but then I did. I remember thinking things like, "I can never do that" but eventually, I did.

My first 2 surgeries were in my lower back. Now it's my neck and I've taken every non-invasive treatment. The pain is not horrible like my back was BUT it's more insidious. It limits my abilities. My arm doesn't work- it's like a teenager. It agrees to do something but then stops mid-way through the chore and makes a mess! So I am looking for surgeons but I'm careful. I had a really bad surgeon operate on my knee 15+ years ago. It took 2 more surgeries to correct what he messed up and a lot more is messed up now than before he started.

But for you, 4 more days? I'll be looking for your updates! I don't have anyone living with me so I need to be able to take care of me. Well, I have a service dog but he's really short! He also goes to bed by like 7pm!

I'll be thinking about you!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,806
    I am worried with the timeline you have to go back to work or lose job, and a physical job that you may rush progress after surgery. Make sure you are dillegent in conversations about this with dr so can heal properly . I have seen some amazing cases of surgery and healing fast where they got right back to life and work, hope this is your case. Good luck
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.