Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I think it's time

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Stop Smoking
When one finally decides that enough is enough, how does one direct themslves to finally surrender and quit. I truly feel that I can do it, some how, sometime (very soon) as my my health is declining and I figure that I have no alternative. As much as I think I enjoy smoking, I know it's wrong. I realize that it's not an easy thing to do. heck, I'm grumpy enough and I've closed the doors on bigger and worse things before. I don't care care if I have to load up on Nic. patches & lozenges and what ever else it takes. How long I've smoked and how much, is that important? Just to much and to long is bearing enough. I'm open to all and any suggestions available. Thanks for reading this and look forward to any remarks to assist me.
as always, my prayers go out to all that suffer from spinal problems, and there families to.

• Im 1 year out from changing my habit. I didn't like the word quitting. Its for a better health.(fits better) I want my back to be healthier. Doc did NOT want to do my fusion until I showed him that smoking was no longer important to me. Smoking seems to be the catch-all for all that is bad. I understood that the new hardware and healing needed to be free from the contaminants of smoking in order to be successful in healing. Good luck to you and we're here to listen and talk with ya. Even if you don't talk about it for a month or 2. God knows I was testy for almost 3 months.
  • Join our non smoking threads and let us know how you are doing
  • Thanks for the positive responses, it gives me more strength. Last nite I wanted to try something, not having my smokes easily avaialble, well "stupid me" upon awakining (still in a morning grog), what was the fist thing I did, yep, I had a smoke on my journey to the bathroom. I suppose I'll have to contact my Doc today and discuss Chantix, even tho he was reluctant to write me a script as to the side effects. Part of the depression aspect. I'll just have to adapt and accept that aspect, as that area is way in the past.
    Being new here, I wish there was an area in which to create a "bio" as much has changed in my life since 94'. As always, I pray for those who suffer from spinal issues. Thanks again for your replies.
  • There is a website www.becomeanex.org Its a whole new way of thinking about quitting. First, you learn your triggers. My biggest trigger is smoking with my morning coffee. Once you find your triggers, you "practice" not smoking during those times. For me, I have not smoked with my morning coffee for over a week. you would not believe how hard it was the first few days, even knowing I could have a smoke, just 10 minutes after my coffee... it still was he**!!! I still smoke, but I am "practicing". Does that make sense? Once you relearn how to do those particular things without cigs, then its time to try quitting. Use whatever help you need. Gum, Patch, losenge, meds whatever...

Learning first how to not smoke during your triggers, makes it easier to quit all together. Once you do quit, you wont have such a strong urge to smoke during those "trigger" moments. Every time I tried to quit, the urge to smoke with that morning coffee got me every time.

I hope that helps you... Please take a look at the site, you don't have to sign up or anything (I didn't) but it seems to me like a useful tool. Let us know how your doing ok?

• I'll go there as soon as Im done here, thanks so much for the tips