Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Warped Reality

Heading in for L5 S1 fusion on 1/26. Reading this forum has helped on some levels and panicked me on others. So many scary stories but I guess many that are doing well aren't sitting around writing about it on chat rooms? I need some perspective. My pain isn't constant nor all up and down my legs. My pain is shooting and limited to when I am moving in Physical ways or sitting on hard surfaces. Laying down I feel nearly 100%. Still, no way to live. I feel like I could be opening Pandora's box next week. Help! I need some common sense perspective.

• Before my surgery (April, 2013) , I woke up every morning without pain and to a fresh start. As the day went on though, my pain increased and I was not living life to the fullest. I was very worried about surgery and worried that I wasn't bad enough. My husband really encouraged me to go through it and all 4 of the surgeons I saw agreed that I needed an L4/L5 fusion. I've had a fantastic outcome and am out living my life again and I rarely check in here. Having surgery was a good decision for me and I'm so relieved to be on the other side of it. Best of luck to you!
    Lumbar laminectomy L-4/L-5, 2006
    XLIF with posterior pedicle screws L-4/L-5, 4-23-2013
  • Thank you so much. That was exactly what I needed to hear.
  • I hope your surgery went well. I started looking at this forum well before my surgery and the posts scared me, too. What I've learned since my surgery is patience. I had a lumbar laminectomy on levels 3 - 5 September 2, 2015. No fusion was necessary. My pain was better for a few days after surgery, then it got worse. Much worse. For three months, my pain was worse than before surgery. My surgeon is a rock star in our area and she was confident healing would come. She said it would take a while. It did. Just as she predicted, healing hasn't been a curve. It's been steps. I'll go weeks with no change, then wake up to a major improvement -- like the day I woke up and my severe lower leg pain went away when sitting. That was at the three-month point. Up until then, it never quit, then one day -- poof, it was gone unless I was standing. I used a walker for about two and a half months, then one day was suddenly able to go to a cane. That lasted for a couple of weeks, then I didn't need either. But, the pain was still severe when walking and I only had one position when lying down that didn't hurt. At the four and a half month point, on a Sunday, I had another l huge step forward. I suddenly could walk with little to no pain and had little to no pain when lying down. I'm on my last week of titrating off my pain medication. Actually, in the last three weeks, the withdrawal symptoms from the narcotics has been the worst part. When I went back and read the horror stories here, most were written not long after surgery. Then, the posters disappear. I suspect most of them healed eventually. Take it one day at a time and maintain hope and if the surgeon did his/her job, it should be fine.
  • Tomorrow is the big day. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History