Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

24 hours Post Op

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone!

I'm currently 23 and 1/2 hour post-op and doing great.

I ended up with a 2 level PLIF, just as planned. When I talked to the NS about how bad L4/3 looked, he kind of shrugged and looked at me like it's not going to last and I'll have to do this again, but we'll do what we can until then.

My surgery was 5 hours. Minimal blood loss.

NS said that the discs were just as bad as we thought, but not worse. Everything went well, easy and no complications.

I woke up with a pain level of (now get this!!) ZERO! Yes a big fat 0. Strangely though I was DRENCHED in a sweat - I felt like I had been in a sauna.

Yes, I have had spikes in pain since then, getting up to go walking, rolling over, but by far the very WORST part was the :sick: loads of sick I've been tossing up.

They have me alternating Phenagren (sp), and Zofran. I get Morphine shots for pain every 3 hours.

I have gone an hour with no pain meds on 2 occasions so far. Once when the IV clotted and it took forever to get another line going - I needed the IV administered Zofran in order to be able to handle the morphine. The second time was just waiting while the nurse was in another patients room. Both times were bearable.

At this point I was in more pain when I walked into the hospital yesterday morning than what I feel right now.
It is a different pain though. The pain levels do spike to a 7 or 8, one time a 9 as I've log-rolled my way up to go walking, despite the help of 2 people on either side of me helping me.

I have been up and walking 4 times. I have not been able to keep anything but some liquids in my stomach. Dinner comes in another hour and a half, I have a dose of Zofran on board and I am sticking with soups and liquids.

Oh, the only other bad things going on:

1- Some new numbness in my right leg - never had anything going on with that leg prior to surgery. NS said he will do a scan(?) tomorrow if it persists.

2- The amount of drainage coming from my back was surprising to the NS. It's been a quite a bit.

3- NS said I'll be here for 4 to 5 days instead of the 2 to 3 the nurses had said in pre-op.

Hugs all (very very soft) hugs

• Ha - I see what you mean Bubble! hee hee!

I'm really 42 years old and yes, 1 day post op.

I guess my brain is a little drugged right now! Nope, no guessing required - I AM drugged up!
  • If you can be typing on your laptop 24 hours out of surgery. I didnt want to even look at the computer a week after surgery cause I was so sore and uncomfortable.

Best Wishes,

Christina :)
  • I have been thinking about you and wondering how you did. It is great to hear that things went well for you. Keep us posted on how you progress... you'll be home before you know it!

Kelly Jo
  • I am so Happy forr you. I hope you can keep some food down and get the heck out of the hospital (those are for sick people ya know)....

Currious- did you bring your laptop? I wonder about taking mine while I'm in next week.

Feel better,

Julie ;)

• Amy, way to go! Stay positive and make the most of the situation. Each day gets better :)
  • Hooray for you Amy, (kinda liked Salty). You are doing great and lets keep you going with an uneventful recovery.
    Not a bad thing having an extra couple of day to be looked after, take what you can.
    Yep the rolling over is the worst of it all. :jawdrop: Oh maybe the sneezing is- I hpe you can avoid that.

Blessings Sara
  • You go girl!!!!
    Oh my is all I can say.
    These are the great stories we like to hear.
    I will still so drugged up at 24 hrs & the cath still in I had no clue what time it was or what was ocming or going :P :P
    You keep going strong. Get home & do what the dr tells ya.
    Even though you may feel better enough to do more.
    I think alot of us here have done that.
    Said oh I feel great today. And then boom pay for it later on in the day. Some of the old timers anyway. Some are not on the new site anymore.
    Stay strong. Keep us updated on your progress.
    Im very thrilled you were able to post and you had no pain when you awoke!!! :) :) :)
  • Thanks all :)

I've got a 36 hour update I'll post a new topic on- the numbness has turned into a complication...

As for those first 24 hours - it's been not to bad. Not near as bad as I was preparing myself for. Maybe that's why I feel so positive, I was totally expecting pain levels of 7 up to 10 for sure!