Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tired of feeling guilty

patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
Just need to vent out here. Here I am at home taking a day off to try and rest from the pain I've had these past days and as usual I am feeling guilty. I take a day off every 2 to 3 weeks because of exhaustion but always feel bad about it when I do.
I am quite fortunate to be able to do it without it having an effect on my paycheck, but still I feel bad for doing it. Anyone else in a similar situation? I would love to be able to exchange with anyone who's living it and feeling the same way.
Just writing about it is helping me, even though there might not be anyone reading my post.

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,819
    I have enough guilt to supply the world due to my health and what it's taken or how it's changed me and the way it's impacted my loved ones.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Your sense of duty is admirable
    But dont let it underscore your duty to yourself, and your health.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    Thanks for your word of wisdom William!
    Being a teacher makes me feel like i'm responsible for my students success and me not being there makes me feel like i'm letting them down and hamperring their progress. Wish i could just let go.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,819
    Patrain don't know what grade you teach, but maybe this will help teach compassion knowing what you go out with and some independence. I also commend you on your dedication to your students above yourself at times , but take care of yourself and you can help them more .
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 2,441
    edited 01/26/2016 - 10:39 AM
    They are watching your every move
    How you act and react to the pain
    Your grace under this pressure
    Your determination.

Even if you only reach one
    You have gained a invaluable gift for them
    They will remember and act accordingly to another or toward themselves.

Sacrifice of self...is noble in the right measure,in the right circumstance.

To to what you love shouldnt. Kill you

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

It isn't killing me, but it sure isn't always easy. I know I should find myself lucky for not having a physical job and even still being able to work, but I just wish I could go on without it tearing me apart every time I miss a day.
  • my children all adults now I still have guilt being a person of chronic pain I think guilt just follows....I haven't been able to return to work since my surgery and still home from the 2nd surgery, I'm not a sit and rest personality so this has been extremely difficult. But where does your guilt lye...is it because you feel your letting the kids down,the administration down, yourself down?
    I don't know what grade your teaching but being a teacher you know kids are resilient and remarkable. If they know what you've been through they understand your needs for rest. It won't do them any good or yourself any good if you go in not feeling well...It helps with your recovery as I am sure your doctors have told you....
    I think as a mom Im not a teacher ( a teacher in a different way)
    You are responsible for those kids but it also shows the kids you are following rules doing what you've been told in taking care of yourself. They will learn from that. So I would say you are still being responsible for those kids, and doing whats right for your health, so as I tell my kids and myself take a deep breathe and tell yourself this is right look how far you've come in your recovery , this is ok, this too shall pass....kids will learn something from this. Thank you for teaching the kids of today the leaders of the future....
    This can't be happening
    edited 01/29/2016 - 3:51 AM
    Thanks for the encouraging words "How did I get here".

Yesterday was a hard day. I got up in pain and tired, but really had to show up to work because what I had to do, nobody else could do it. I was leading a workshop for our future students. So I picked up my courage and went in to work. The kids gave me plenty of energy and I was able to get through the day.

When I got home, I was really tired but satisfied and proud of what I had done to show off our school. All in all, my day was pretty good.
  • and I am glad you were able thats what us with chronic pain do. Pull up our boot strings put on a smile and get through what we need to for friends family, students ect....
    This can't be happening
  • Guilt just goes along with having chronic pain. I feel safe in saying that the majority here have quilt. Not being able to do what you once did messes with ones psyche. Having to ask for help or watching someone do what you were once able to do on your own sucks on so many levels-only the people who have CP or any debilitating condition understand this. All you can do is your best, continue to try, take day by day & on the days you can't then vent, cry, kick & scream then dust your hind parts off and start over. The bad days don't last forever, the sun comes up everyday offering a fresh start.
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,177

Teren, well said.

I also would take days off every several weeks, and would feel guilty for missing work, and for then not helping around the house.  I worked through that by making sure that I thanked the people that I affected.

Spine-health Moderator

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.