Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Pain 4 weeks post op L4-S1 Fusion

Hi! I am new to this site, but have found some great information. Just to give you some background info on me....I am a 26 year old female that had a lumbar fusion at L4-S1 almost 4 weeks ago. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease 4 years ago. I'm a very fit, athletic girl. I initially had a herniated disc at L4/L5 and had a microdiscectomy in Aug, 2014 due to severe sciatica in my left leg. The surgery successfully took my pain away. Five months later in January, 2015 I began having unbearable sciatica in my right butt, behind my thigh and in my calf. It showed my DDD was so advanced that I needed a fusion. I was scared and did all the conservative methods to prevent having another surgery. I did PT for 3 months, 5 epidural injections, saw a physiatrist, went to several pain management doctors, tried nerve pain medication...etc. nothing helped so I finally had my L4-S1 fused on Dec 29, 2015 (4 weeks ago.)

Everything was great for 2.5 weeks. I left the hospital after two days, was walking 1-1.5 miles a day after a week, wasn't taking any pain medicine 3 days post op. On the third week post op my sister had a baby, I was in a car, at the hospital, sitting up for 1-2 hours at a time, holding the baby, helping change her...I did this for 3-4 days and just a few days ago I started feeling my old sciatic pain in my right leg return. It's a little above my knee, behind my knee, and into my calf.

Do you think I simply over did it and now things are inflamed? Is it normal to feel the same nerve pain I had before surgery? I see my doctor in a week and will talk to him then. At my two week appt he did an X-ray and said things look great. I'm just nervous this sciatica won't go away.

Thanks for your input and help!!

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 731
    Most likely your reoccuring nerve pain is just the nerves trying to find a new normal. Your nerves were crushed and inflammed for a long time and it will take several months for the nerves to calm down and fully heal. Duing this time they will go through various stages of healing that may result in fresh pains something like pre-op. Having said that... don't over do it... no BLT!!! You may feel better... but your body is not done healing yet at only 4 weeks post op.
    Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015