Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
Ok well my NS is one of those that will only write scripts for so long after surgery, I do believe he said 2 months was his limit, so I was instructed to go thru my PCP or my PM, well my PCP says she cannot go any stronger then Vicodin 5/500 that is what I call "CANDY" so my PM calls in Oxycodone 20 mgs. but my pharmacy is out and has to order and it will take over a week, I'm like WTF????? so in the meantime I had to use the Vicodin so now my PM said he had to cancel the Oxy since I would be in control of 2 opiads at the same time!!!! I was like are you kidding me, I'll toss the Vicodin but they wouldn't beleive me! :( :O :? :jawdrop: :sick:

• OMG, that is unbelievable, you are going from 20 mg Oxycodone to Vicodin 5/500???
    Do they realize your gonna have withdrawals and no real relief at all.

Those doctors are truly insane and the pharmacy should at least get the Oxycodone overnighted for you especially if your a long term customer.Chronic pain patients need a bill of rights enacted in congress IMHO, I never realized how bad it was till now.

Everyday, I read the troubles of those seeking relief to at least gain some quality of life.My own doctor left me in a lurch for 5 months while I was left taking 12 tylenol + 3 Aleve a day even though he could see my pain was not even being handled.He finally had a change of heart, but I wonder for how long?

Again, I hope a resolve can be worked out for you ASAP.
  • The fastes a pharmacy can do is 3 to 4 business days, I really don't understand why they make it so hard for us to order CII's, but they do. We get a regular order once a week (order Tues, rec'v Fri - a lot of time between). Otherwise we can try to make a special order, but that takes 3 to 4 business days.

Try to find another pharmacy in town that does have it in stock. Or did they take away the script from you? If so that is really, really wrong.
  • drs here are the same way.
    he tossed the script for oxy because your probably under contract with them????
    most do thats why i am asking.
    my pm said i could get percocet/lortab whatever from my pcp then said if i do he would not be able to rx anything.
    i know all to strange.
    your pcp can rx something stronger they just do not want to.
    which stinks when you have medical test to back up your pain.
    when i get a script i call around to a few different pharmacies to make sure they have it.
    if they don't i keep trying.
    example when i was in pm i called for patches 1 store said a week, another said 3 days, my local pharmacy said the 24 hrs. so they are all different.
    good luck sweetie with what goes on!!!
  • When my neuro upped my dose of Kadian from 30mg 2x a day to 60mg 2x a day, my pharmacy didn't have 60's The Pharmacist called every other pharmacy in town, and even the next town over (pharmacies of that same chain anyway) to see if they had it... when they didn't, he spoke with my neuro, and got permission to change the scrip from 60-60mg tabs to 120 30mg tabs (so I would take 2 30's 2x a day. Also, they didn't have 120 tabs of 30mg... So he informed my neuro that they only had 92, and that I would need a fill early.

I did have a crazy experience, quite a few years back. I called in the middle of the night to the on-call Dr. because I had a terrible migraine and I had ran out of fioricet. The on call Dr. sent a script for (4) pills to the Pharmacy. She told me to call my PCP the next day, and explain that she had only prescribed enough for the night, and to get a new prescription.

My PCP called in 30, with a few months of refills. When I went to the pharmacy to pick it up, there were only 4 pills and no refills. Apparently, after my PCP called in the script, the pharmacy received the "hard copy" of my emergency 4 pills. I guess its procedure to send over the hard copy of a script that had been called in in the middle of the night. They weren't supposed to, but they entered the hard copy of 4 pills into the computer, which canceled out the 30 my PCP had sent in. It was a big mess, and they refused to fix it. They told me I had to call my PCP, and explain what happened. I think they should've done that, because when I called my PCP, she didn't believe me and became really angry, like I was lying! She wouldn't even prescribe them to me anymore, she started me on some anti-depressant. I had to go to her office every time I had a migraine, or go to the emergency room for help.
  • Here in Canada, there is a real push on disposing of old meds directly through the pharmacy; they don't want them in the landfills or flushed down the toilets, but I'm sure they also don't want them in the hands of people who shouldn't have them.

Cherry, could you ask them to CALL when the Oxy arrives, and HAND OVER the rest of the Vicodin when you get your new prescription?? We don't have these "contracts" to deal with in Canada, so it's not nearly as complicated for us here (well, for ME, anyways!).

Good luck, and I hope you get some relief soon.

• You're not allowed to have 2 opiods at the same time? Since that pharmacy was out of Oxy, they should have put it on order, and the actual prescription on file. That way your PCP could give you the Vicodin until the order comes in.

I'm on Fentanyl, Norco, Valium, Neurontin, and they come from pain mgt. and neuro.

We have a lot in common- hysterectomy, new neck problems while recovering from a TLIF/laminectomy. I hope things get back in order. If I was you, I'd call that pharmacy and ask about the things I wrote. I don't know if it's a state law; a lot of them do their own thing. Hope things work out
  • the PM can't "call in" any Oxy it's a paper RX only as a type II controlled substance. So it sounds like they called to see if the Vicodin was filled. If he gave you an actual RX you could physically take it somewhere else...You might want to talk to them and do like another poster said & volunteer the Vicodin but take it to the PM so he can see you've been taking that as prescribed and will happily dump them to him. The 2 different med thing sounds like a brushoff. I know all docs are different but that's all too bizzare.
    Good luck