Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Constant acne post ACDF C6/7 w/hardware

Ever since my surgery 7 months ago, my face has broken out. Not just regulag acne. But painful, constant white pustules. They are small and through out the day randomly pop up around my mouth, nose and recently between my eye brows.
I found out last week I will have to have my 3rd neck surgery due to compression from my ACDF. I now have a bone spur pressing on my spinal cord C7/T1 right side. The pain has been worse than before the ACDF. They did a CT to confirm my fusion is complete and MRI to see why I am in so much pain again. Since I'm fused my Dr placed me on steroids, which in the first day relieved most all of my pain and cleared up my face. Now that I'm off the pain and swelling has returned. Plus the painful acne is back. Has anyone had this problem? I'm so frustrated to have to deal with another surgery when I haven't even fully recovered physically. I am just happy to be able to work part time to keep my mind occupied on things other than the pain.
I'm posting this just to see if there might be a possibility that I'm having a reaction to the stuff in my neck. I've been very slow to heal. I have redness that will appear on my neck around the surgical sight and I just feel like the acne is from the hardware.

• SkoshikaSkoshika Washington StatePosts: 22
    I now know what the issue with my face is. I am going to create a different forum so people looking for this specific issue can find what I have gone through and hopefully help them along the way. I found out that I am allergic to the metal plate and screws. Please look for my new forum and see what I had to go through to find out this information. It will be under ACDF Allergic Reaction and Removal.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Thank you for your update!
    Im glad you found and resolved your allergy.

So many times allergies may be seen outwardly, such as face, and sometimes inwardly, ex.swollen throat.
    Another reason so important to report all symptoms to your doctor!

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your story

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    Hi Skoshika 

Did you use allograft or autograft? CAGE with plating? or allograft with plates?

MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.
  • SkoshikaSkoshika Washington StatePosts: 22
    I had a plate and screws in. I just had it removed last Thursday and my face cleared up immediately! The bone they used was a cadaver, but I can't remember right now if that's an allograph or autograph. I'm on alot of pain meds lol. ;)