Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pulsed Radio Frequency

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Spinal Injections
Hi All,

I'm going back into hospital tomorrow for a second epidural injection and pulsed radio frequency. Think they're doing both cervical and lumber spine as well as injecting the piriformis!

Has anyone else had PRF? Did it work and did it hurt? I was sedated v well last time and did not feel or remember a thing so, am hoping it'll be the same this time. Am a wuss when it comes to needles!! :)

• I have had 17 injections and they were all done with sedation. I also had 3 nerve levels burned but they did not use pulse because the doctor felt it doesnt work as well. when they did the RFA they did sedate me for a very short time while the put some probes in and then they wake you up so you can respond to questions. when I was awake I only felt a couple of very light pin pricks. The area was sore for a couple of days but not intolerable
  • Just back from the hospital. Am feeling dizzy, tired and hot as it's 29 degrees outside!! I am so dehydrated too. Had to be Nil by Mouth for the majority of the day as they had to wait for the equipment that was ordered in especially for my procedure to be checked to ensure it was fit to use! The person had to come from another hospital to do this. Was a bit annoyed at first for the delay to my procedure but after all thats happened to me I was glad to hear that they were not taking any chances!

I didn't have as much sedation this time round and I remember a lot of it and it did hurt when they touched the nerves. I also had to have my hip injected as I also have a trochanteric bursitis! Will it ever end??

• So far so good, no pain and haven't taken any tablets so, am pleased to say that the injections seem to be working!!

• Glad to hear that it's working for you.

In two weeks I go for the nerve block to see if I can have RFA, and I can't wait. Of course I'm hoping that the block makes it clear that RFA will work for me, because I really need something to help.

Hope that you continue to have relief from your pain.
  • The nerves are no longer in shock.....

I now have slight pain in my neck along with the tingling in my arm. It was fine for a few days but obviously this isn't going to work but I will see how the next 3 weeks go.

The piriformis is playing havoc too and I thought that the steroid injection was helping the trochanteric bursitis but it's also playing up :(

Paul, did you have a second PRF or did they leave you after the first one didn't work? I only had one course of epidural injections and one PRF but don't mind trying both again to see if they'll work second time round. I sooooooooo don't want to have this third op.

• is the bomb! Yes, it hurts but soooo worth it to get 9 mos to 1 year relief. OK thats my 2 cents worth!
  • I guess I am still wondering why a doctor (or patient) would choose PRF over RFA?

Is there some benefit with PRF that RFA doesn't have?

It doesn't sound like the nerve is stunned for very long, so I don't quite understand why it is done.
  • WOW WOW AND WOW So, glad I found this. I am going in on Fri. for 3 nerves no pulse just the burn. I am scared on one had and happy to get it done to see if it works. My Dr. is having the sleep Dr. put me out sound asleep for the whole thing. Guess I am lucky in that way. Hope it works for sure.
  • I am going on the 21st and I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing else has helped so I don't know why I keep getting excited and disappointed, but this is a new Dr. How was your experience?
  • Has anyone tried radio frequency for pain caused by arthritis in lower back?

I have tried two epidural injections that haven't worked and now my doctor wants to try radio frequency.

It seems like many people haven't had good results.

Any advice much appreciated!
  • You'll probably get more response if you start a new post. Check the left hand column where it says create content or forum topic. There are members here who have had success with this treatment. I haven't tried it yet. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN