Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Radiofrequency Abulation

Has anyone ever had the abulation where they inject heat into the nerve to deaden them? I am going thru remedial injection now with lidocane and this is the next step to try and get my chronic pain under control. I'm wanting to know how successful this procedure is. I have read it's only 50/50? I have hardware in lumbar L2-5 with daily pain that has very much affected my quality of life. Any info would be appreciated.

• The only times I've had this done are for S-I joint pain, and they worked really well...lasted about 18-24 months. (The nerves regenerate, unfortunately.) They will generally make you have a couple of injections first to make sure that's the right spot and that it will work.

Also, if you do have it done...it takes about 1-2 weeks for the nerves to actually die off, so you may not have a good idea of the effectiveness right away. (Plus it hurts when they do it...hurts is relative, but I'm hard to sedate and it wasn't fun sober. I'm pretty sure Versed is about the only substance on the planet I metabolize fast. )
    "There are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before." ~Willa Cather
  • ELDmommy3EELDmommy3 St. Louis, MOPosts: 1
    edited 01/28/2016 - 12:12 PM
    I am also interested in any info and experiences with RFA. I am one year out of l4/l5 and l5/s1 discectomies but have had chronic pain since surgery (it did correct the foot drop). I have tried pt, accupuncture, injections and multiple meds with little to no help and have developed significant SI joint pain too. Met with my surgeon yesterday and he recommended RFA.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on this link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thanks so much. I went thru the diagnotic injections and I'm not sure if my pain is nerve or muscles? I believe they are going to do the abulation! I'm very nervous it will affect my legs and arms! Praying for relief!
  • spinedsspined Posts: 10
    edited 02/23/2016 - 8:44 PM
    I had RF ablation bilaterally L2S1 The relief lasted nearly three years. 
    L3-L4 Laminectomy micro-discectomy 2008
    ALIF L5-S1 2012
    Facet Joint Ablation L2 to S1 2012
    Facet Joint Ablation. L2 to S1 2015
  • armelindarmelind South TexasPosts: 88
    I have Epidural Fibrosis... scarring of the nerves. And one of the treatment options for pain relief was RF Ablation and I received very little if any relief from the procedure.  And dont ever think that a treament can be a cure. Sometimes the treatment can cause damage too. Even when the RF ablation treatment is done right and in the correct place, it is a painful procedure. Nothing is as bad as the back surgery and recovery (at least for me) but it can still cause much discomfort.