Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
I finally joined after lurking/educating myself for a few weeks.

I have had back pain over 13 years now. In 2000 I had a microdiscectomy for a massive herniation. Things were good.

Fast forward to the last couple of years. I had trouble sleeping again, pain would always disrupt my sleep. I couldn't sleep on my right side, instant painful squeezing feelings in my thighs. Stiffness, hobbling, gradual reduction in doing anything except what HAD to be done. But, still I thought it was just me and there was nothing wrong or that could be helped.

I had the years of "you're just depressed, take these" and had tried almost all of the antidepressant medications, all having side effects.
I can't take pain medications because of either intense itching or breaking out in Hives.
So, finally at a breaking point, I made an appointment with my Rheumatologist, Orthopaedist and Neurologist.

I first saw the Neuro, total waste of time and energy. He is totally against ANY surgery.
Next I saw the Ortho. He did my original surgery and saved my life. He ordered scans of my neck and spine but didn't have a follow-up appt. until August. Two days after the scan, his assistant called to get me in a week later.

And I am not crazy, hurray!!
We went thru the options.
1. do nothing.
2. See a physiatrist to figure out the pain medication issue and either have injections and or start P/T.
3. Fusion
4. This is a big personal decision. I got the feeling it not if but WHEN.

So, I believe in starting with the least and giving it a try.

Yesterday, I saw the pain anesthesologist and have scheduled an injection for next week. I have had these before my last surgery, so I know this guy. He feels that having the injections THEN having P/T is the better route to go.

He says that I have scar tissue that is around the nerve and that "could" be causing alot of this pain. I
also have alot of arthritis in my back ( really everywhere)

So, here's the question (finally, lol)
He says he can insert a cathether in the area that is to be injected, get it over near the nerve and inject an enzyme that would break up the scar tissue, then do the normal steroid injection.

Has anyone any experience with this? I don't even know what this enzyme is called in order to look it up for myself.

I also have scheduled a second opinion with a doctor out of my area that has done 3 fusions on a business contact of mine. I would need L4-L5 fused but the disks above aren't too good either.

My neck disks in 3 levels are really thin which is what I am hearing when I walk, a clicking as the bones rub together. My dr. says they will eventually fuse themselves as they put down new bone to compensate for all this friction. The logical part of me says that doesn't mean they would fuse together in a healthy form though I suppose they could.

I appreciate any ideas.

• welcom to spine-health...
  • Hi Amber,

Well the good thing is that you are doing your home work. Many times I would sit in the office waiting to see the neurosurgeon or the pain management doc and I would be chatting with other patients. They would be clueless as to even what level, what issue, what procedure they were there for. All they knew was they were refered there, they hurt and they were getting "some procedure" or they just had "some surgery". My NS said it was very frustrating to have patients that wouldn't even ask questions or even find out what kind of surgery he recommended.

Keep doing your homework, build a list of questions for the doc and hang in there. I've heard of the enzyme injection before, however have no knowledge or experience there.

Let us know what you decided and how everything goes.

• I think I found what this procedure is called.

Lysis of Adhesions. I found it while reading posts here, LOL.

Now I am researching what it involves and results.
    I agree that we must be as educated as possible about any health matters.

Thanks, Amber