Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Already on disability before the back problems

Frustrated101FFrustrated101 Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
But, I have lost my ability to enjoy my favorite pastime and mood stabilizer, hiking.I get about 20 mins top of walking in on flat ground then my legs get weak, back spasms and more depression.

I hope I get some points!!!

BTW reading what some of you have gone through and still have a positive attitude is inspirational to say the least, heres to less pain and quicker recoveries all of you.

• I have the same problem.... I hope you can get your pain under control. Mine just kept getting worse- I am scheduled for a fusion in a few days.

I have my bad days and my good days. I try to keep my mind busy with other things. I finally came to terms with my problems and I am excited to think about how I will feel better and be able to do some of the things that I used to enjoy. It may take a year, but I am okay with it.

Hang in there,

• It is never easy living a restricted existence and pain itself continues to shrink our options, what at once may have been achievable is now not so and another restrictor to add to our growing list. I was very active and one by one my list of things I could do shrank at an alarming rate, we see here the range of capability from almost static to walking and a few higher order activities, we should not feel aggrieved that we cannot do as others do, as our pain is very individual, we can do things others cannot by the same token.

My objective has been to find what works for me and replicate activity in another format, however sad it may be I have to accept than my walking limitation has stopped my golf completely and this will never return however dedicated to trying that I made.

As you I would always advocate less pain and any activity that increased this would have to be omitted or reduced, adapting to new scenarios is never easy and more to do with how we feel about the change rather than the change itself, even having accepted that things will change it is never easy and a continual reminder where we are going.

Having an initial disability for you has needed addition resilience and I read in your text the efforts you are making, for me cycling has been my saviour, no weight bearing and as you say sufficient capability before legs weakness and the spasms also, it has taken many months to adapt, find the correct posture and the periphery of my limitations. Some days I cannot stand, but when I can I ride like the wind, and most of my effort is now targeted at this one activity, which with the loss of suitable walking ability for you, carries such resonance for us all. We all adapting and long may is continue, keep trying you will find a new activity, and smiling will return.

Good luck John
This discussion has been closed.