Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Factor Five Leiden and needing surgery again!

I have posted here lots of times and am struggling with a decision to have a second microdiscetomy. I need it for a herniation at L3-4 and this is a repeat from 2 1/2 years ago.
After that surgery I developed a DVT a week later and found out that I have both FVL and protein s deficit. Has anyone else had back surgery with these issues and if so did you have difficulty with clots? I am very concerned to have another complication but I am at the end of my rope with the horrible leg pain! I have tried 2 epidurals which haven't worked so my next step is surgery. Anybody out there that can contribute would be appreciated.

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 129
    edited 01/30/2016 - 10:58 AM
    I have Factor Five Leiden, Protein S deficiency and ITP. I'm on warfarin because I had two DVTs. I've had two cervical fusions without any issues. If you don't have a hematologist, your should get to know one.
  • Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 142
    I have a hematologist but my concern is he has a different opinion from my surgeon. My surgeon wants me to wait 5 days after the surgery before he starts an anticoagulant. The hematologist is checking around to see what others do in similar situations. Do you remember how long after your procedure before starting anticoagulants? Just your opinion not that this is something I will take as advice. Very concerning to get any more clots! I know this is common enough that there have to be others out there in a similar situation. I would like to hear anyone else's experience with this.
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 724
    I take a daily dosage of time released Aspirin for my heart condition. My surgeon took me off it a week before surgery and substituted some kind of a daily injection (that bruised my skin quite badly) otherwise he said he would not be able to control the bleeding during surgery. Once the surgery was over I went back on the daily dosage of Aspirin the next day.
    Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 129
    I'm on Warfarin. If you are on a different anticoagulant, the "bridge therapy" will be different. If I remember correctly, they had me stop the Warfarin five days before surgery and bridge using Lovenox (expensive). I forget if they had me use the Lovenox right up to surgery and restart right after surgery, but if there was a break, it was very small period of time. They then had me restart the Warfarin shortly after surgery, since there is a "ramp up" time with Warfarin. I had to stay on the Lovenox until the target INR level.

If you are on a different anticoagulant, the process will be different. Make sure your surgeon and hematologist are on the same page before surgery! Anticoagulants are a pain, but better than having DVTs.