Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Butrans vs Hysingla ER

I am being changed from Butrans to Hyslinga ER and woud love to know people's experiences with each. Pros and Cons of 1 or both would be great. The Butrans did absolutely NOTHING for my pain, so Im pray Hysingla ER will give me some relief!
•ACDF C6-7 (5/12/15) resulted in a non-union of the 2 vertebrae. I am using a BSG & Forteo injections every night, PT for e-stim, US, MFR, dry needling, acupuncture & another private MT for MFR. My tone is improving, however the bone pain continues.

• edited 01/30/2016 - 5:04 PM
    I was on both the 10mcg and 15mcg Butrans patches and found them much superior to any oral med. I've never used Hyslinga but it contains hydrocodone which I used concurrently with Butrans and still take 2 tablets a day of, it still has yet to lose effectiveness(after 4+ years) but I don't expect more than about a 20% pain reduction from it.

When I was switched from only hydrocodone to Butrans I was told that 40mg/day of Hydrocodone is about equally effective as a 10mcg Butrans patch, so the two meds are quite comparable in strength. However, I found the Butrans to be significantly stronger and more effective than the Hydrocodone and even MS Contin. Sometimes are bodies are weird and one med won't work very well and a supposedly equal strength med works much better. You will have to see how it works for your experience.

Also, just so you know, saying an opioid does absolutely 0 for your pain could be seen as a red flag, as even something as weak as codeine should at least take the edge off. I don't know how long you've been taking painkillers but if you're new to it you should know that you shouldn't expect more than a 50% reduction of your pain from meds and often its more like 25-40%. It's helpful to be realistic about expectations from your meds when starting out on opioids or else you'll just want more and more and more to take away the pain but these meds can only lessen the pain not take it away completely. Anyway, hope this didn't come off as attacking you, just giving my 2 cents.
  • AMFreeAAMFree North MSPosts: 24
    I'm on 20mcg of Butrans for now and still requiring 3 10/325 Norcos throughout the day, so for our goal, which was to decrease my pain even more, no, it did nothing that the 4 Norcos a day I was taking couldn't do. I'm aware of red flags as I see them a lot in my field of work( in-patient rehab-PT). Hysingla ER is a new medication, so I'm sure you've never tried it if you've been on Butrans patches for 4 years.

I was injured a year ago and had a failed surgery in May 2015. Now I have fractures in 2 of my vertebrae and a "fusion" that never fused. I would LOVE to have 30% of my pain relieved, but that's not the case.
    •ACDF C6-7 (5/12/15) resulted in a non-union of the 2 vertebrae. I am using a BSG & Forteo injections every night, PT for e-stim, US, MFR, dry needling, acupuncture & another private MT for MFR. My tone is improving, however the bone pain continues.
  • Yes, I've never used Hyslinga, that's one of the first things I said in my reply... But Hyslinga is just a brand name/formulation, Hydrocodone is the actual active drug within it which I am using right now and have for quite some time, that is why I brought up my experiences between the two meds, which is what you were asking for. Norco is also hydrocodone, so technically you have experience with the med already as well, albeit in the IR form.
    edited 02/16/2016 - 9:47 PM
    Yes, I'm familiar with hydrocodone containing products. I have been prescribed several.. and oxycodone as well. I am educated in the health care field.[edit -rude behavior]

So, let's start over.. I was taking 4 10/325 Norcos a day and still not getting much relief, so my PM MD prescribed Butrans with 3 Norcos a day so I wouldn't have to sit there and watch the clock for 6 hours until my next medication time to get 10% relief for about a hour, then be in pain for the next 5 until another one. With the Butrans, I'm almost exactly the same.. Maybe 5% better at baseline, which is better, but not what we are trying to achieve. I have a 2 year old, I can't lay in the bed in pain all day, you know? Our goal is for me to be able to care for her for longer than I am now and with less pain during and especially after. Also, to not be a zombie. This is why I asked the question wanting to compare the two.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    i am doing the opposite with my meds. I was on HysinglaER and now my new pain doc is putting me on Butrans patch. I can tell you that HyslinglaER did give me just a slight reduction in pain, but I was having a hard time dealing with the side effects. Besides the usual side effects of a pain med, I was having severe stomach pains constantly, dizziness, confusion, and really bad dry mouth. It was the stomach pains that bothered me the most. My pain doc thought it was my gallbladder. It wasn't. 
    I am waiting now for my work comp insurance to approve the Butrans patch. My pain doc told me the patch has less side effects? I sure hope so! 
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    edited 02/16/2016 - 10:00 PM
    Comparing the two is very difficult.  A patch vs oral pill, thats a hard one to even start with.

AMFree, If you were to compare  Hysingla vs Oxycontin or Opana, you would get responses, plus there are plenty of web sites that do the comparison.  I have not run across a site that compares patches to pills .  Perhaps in your  educated health field, you might have  access to answers more than we do.

What I have read is that Hysingla  has many negative side effects, plus it is a very addicting narcotic (if not all narcotics can be addicting).  People who display any type of substance abuse , this is not the drug of choice, especially when there are options.

Cathy, I was on the Burtans patch (first 5, the 10mcg) and it was very effective.  I was able to cut down my daily intake of oral narcotics from 8 to 2 a day. My only drawback about the patch, was that it is suppose to be for 7 days.  I found the first 4 were effective, after that, I noticed that I did need the oral more.   But when I started the next patch, the same routine, first 4 days were great, but I had no negative effects.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    Thank you for your input. I did get the patch approved. Yesterday was day 1 on it. 
    I did not mean for that comment to be rude at all, just expressing that the poster could have spoken in medical terms and I would understand. I am now being switched from the Hysingla to Nucynta ER. My pain management doctor told me she was basically using me as a trial to see if the Hysingla would help because she had heard from several patients that it wasn't helpful. 

Are any of you familiar with Nucynta ER? This one, I'm clueless about. It was just described as something "totally different". 

Again, I apologize for the comment above if it came off as rude. That was not my intention at all. 
  • Been on Butrans for a number of years started with 5mg/ph progressed onto the 20mg/ph over time I would agree with what has been mentioned with relief between 10-20% as that wanes towards the end of the seven day period. As part of the strategy in conjunction with my doctor 300mg slow release Gabapentin, for me any restbite from that continual chronic pain is welcome where that is the most impacted range of the pain. It is important to change location of the site every time as burning of the skin can occur plus only use at the stated dose for safety reasons. As with any medication for some it works others less so, reduces the risk of GI issues in the long term.

I tolerated Tramadol well although limited by the duration this could be used in the longer term this was  a satisfactory alternative, those initial traits of using Butrans soon wore off for me.

This is about managing our pain as best we can not a return to the things  we once did or the expectation  we may have prior to using it.

Take care, be kind to yourself.