Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this "bending"??....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
The standing hamstring stretch when my left heel is on the floor, my right foot behind and then I lean forward to get my hamstring to stretch. I do this while wearing my back brace. Is this considered "bending" or is this a stretch others have done? I find it easier than the lying down one. Doc is a great surgeon but not real specific on rehab. He ok'd stretches but I'm not sure if this one is o.k. He's also the head of trauma and spine at a large Detroit hospital and ohhh soooo difficult to reach-that's why I'm checking here first. Thanks

• I went through PT for my microD and did a lot of stretching....however all of it was while laying on my back. I can't recall any exercise or stretch where they had me bending over at the waist.

There are a couple ways to do the hamstring stretch (doorway or dog leash) that are fairly easy while laying on your back.

Even though he is tough to reach, I would try to check with him or a physical therapist on what is okay for your situation. Perhaps that doc has a physician's assistant that can answer your questions and that is easier to get a hold of. You don't want to undo any healing.

• I would think that that is bending... Are you bending from your hips? No arch in your back? As long as you are keeping your back in a neutral position, not arching in any direction and keeping your brace on and making sure it doesn't hurt... (enough "and"'s yet, LOL!) Just be very concious of your positioning.

• I wouldnt risk it, it isnt worth it. Are you already in PT and if so, I would just follow their exercises they give you to do. If youre just doing these stretches on your own without being given the green light your taking a big chance.

Christina :)
  • As long as your brace is on you can not actually bend. that's the purpose of having the brace on, to keep you from bending. wear my brace 24/7. Today my PT made me take if off to practice bending forward a little, I had to take the brace off because I can't actually bend with on.
  • oh wow, that helps. I was getting panicy over here. So at some point they want you to bend again??
  • Hi Carol:

When I used to wear my brace I could bend a lot (this was after I was completely fused). When did you have surgery? It is my understanding NO BLT until you are completely fused. I would check with your doctor before you do any of the exercises you mentioned. You don't want to jeopardize your recovery!

• Hi Carol,
    I had L3 -S1 nearly 12 weeks ago now. No brace and started physio on day 1. Have been going to physio, hydro and gym 4 times a week for the last 10 weeks.
    Now what is interesting is that I have been bending from a sitting position for 6 weeks now. Sitting on the edge of the chair and reaching the ground (OK trying to anyway) to do shoes, sox etc. That is one of my exercises.
    But I have been told that under no conditions am I to do the lying on the bed with straight leg raises to stretch the hamstrings. :jawdrop:
    I do the hamstring stretch as you described it from a standing position or in the pool.

Just proves again that every Dr is different with his/her own methods.

• Thank you for replying Angel back. If you've been bending since six weeks and you do that same hamstring stretch than I feel releived that I didn't do any major damage then. My muscles must just be wreaking havoc. I am ready for some stretching and strengthening and then hopefully these muscles will 'remember' what to do and behave a little more. Right now they just want to tighten up anytime I tick them off. I was really fearful I had been 'bending' doing that stretch but it only felt like I was leaning into it at the time....Ugh, I can't wait to be past all this!