Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain

bigginbbiggin Posts: 1
edited 02/01/2016 - 1:43 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this. A little history. I am a 33/M overweight but not out of shape. I've been suffering from thoracic back pain and muscle spasms for 6 years now as a result of a fall from approximately 12 feet. The diagnosis from the fall was herniated L4 and L5. The CT scan also revieled an older injury. Compression fracture of T6. Treatment was rest and pain medicine and I was back to work in 2 weeks. Work being self employed contractor in the residential sector. My lower back never hurt after the fall outside of normal aches and pains associated from my job. About 3 months after the accident the middle right side of my back developed a knot approximately 4 inches around below the compression fracture and to the right around T8/T9. The pain associated from this has been every imaginable variety depending on my workload for over 5 years now. I changed jobs due to the pain. The pain is constantly dull and the knot meet goes away, the longer I stand ( which unfortunately is a long time with my new job) the more pain I have. Simple tasks like walking or picking up my son have become a chore And my wife tasks me that my gait has changed, though I don't notice it. And while my job description has changed I am still currently uninsured and not a candidate for the affordable care act. I found this website after a sleepless night from said pain and after reading through the forums was impressed by the amount of knowledge here.

My questions are these
1) Could this be related to my previous injury or caused by something else?
2) As I said I'm overweight. At 6'4" I tip the scales at 270 pounds. However, that is deceiving. I was very active before the injury started limiting my mobility and regularly lifted weights and participated in athletics. Are there any exercises I can do to strengthen the latissimus dorsi and longissimus thoraci muscles that are "knotted up" for lack of a better term. I have recently started yoga to try to do so but not had any positive results.

My lack of insurance is a major problem that much is clear. My wife graduates college in 3 months, at which time I will be insured and able to seek the opinion of a doctor. I'm the mean time I just want to get answers to these questions and possibly alleviate some of the pain without medication.

There are no medical professionals on the forum side of this site. Therefore everything you read is based on the personal experiences and/or research done by the individual member. Comments should never be taken as pure medical facts. You need to discuss this with your doctor. They are the only ones that can provide you with detailed information about you, the patient.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 02/01/2016 - 1:43 AM
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 159
    I to took a fall at work. Did a compression fracture on my T7, smashed it. Cracked T6&T8. Did Not have  it looked at for 5 months. Did go to my PCP, other doctors to. But no xrays where took. Everyone was saying cracked ribs or it will take time to heal. Friends and family started saying I walk leaning forward. I finally went to a neurosurgeon. He did an MRI. Said I was lucky that i'm not paralyzed. He could not believe I waited this long. So I ended up worse. He had to fuse my T4-T10.  Not sure why you say your not a candidate for  the affordable care act. I have it with my back issues. They dont ask you any health question. But you could and can hurt yourself worse, like me. I think you should really be seeking a neurosurgeon or an orthopedic doctor. And don't be lifting.   
    Greg fisher
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,146
    Could this be related to my previous injury or caused by something else?

Yes, either one.  Have you tried a muscle relaxer?  That might be a relatively inexpensive fix since you don't have insurance.

I can't imagine going through this without insurance.  There is a forum here to discuss insurance

Spine-health Moderator

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.