Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can a disc fuse after one year ?

Hey Everyone,
I am new to this forum and have read/posted a few things now and then. I am suffering from my second ACDF and approaching my third surgery ! Doc says "failed fusion" or nonunion. I had my first ACDF in 2009 of the C5-6 without hardware and it seemed to be successful, only to go through the same issue 5 years later! My next ACDF was 2015 of the C6-7 with hardware but unfortunately my pain has persisted same as before the second surgery !
Can the bone fuse with a bone stimulator after one year ? Is there any other option for bone growth before writing it off and submitting to yet another surgery ? I am not mentally or physically ready to jump into that alternative ! I have been doing PM with injection and RFA. This has minimally helped with the pain but has reduced the level with the use of pain meds.
Anyone riding this same train please feel free to share your thoughts !

• Me again ~

Just got the CT scan results and they are looking glim ! I see the Neurosurgeon on Monday but from the way it looks there will need to be yet another surgery...so scared !

Anyone out there that has experienced a posterior laminectomy with fusion ? What was the recovery like ? Did you lose muscle strength ? Is the surgery worth the end result ?

It also appears to be a screw is in some soft tissue--- could that lead to having go back in the front to fix that screw placement ?

So confused ---the pain is too much !

• Hi there!!! I'm medguyhurts8629 and I'm also new to this forum. I haven't had any surgeries or procedures to the cervical region but I have had to the lumbar/sacral region. After my L5/S1 fusion I to had to wear a bone fusion stimulator and I believe I had to wear that 12-16 hours per day and for 6-8 months. Your doc should be able to tell you how long it takes for the bones to fuse. In my own experiences I think it took about 6-8 months before my surgeon was comfortable enough with the situation to were I didn't have to use the BFS anymore. Other issues could have an effect on anyone's situation as it did in my case because every body is different. As in my experience, the fusion I had was about 50% successful. It alleviated the unstable lumbar/sacral vertebrae and disc in that area but the nerve pain and damage is worse now. I'm looking at a possible 3rd surgery in the very near future. I know my future looks bleak. My first surgery failed, second worked but only about 50% success, the third idk? I know the pain is awful. I know that this 3rd surgery will most likely lead to another one and another and another. The cycle doesn't stop. 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    edited 02/05/2016 - 2:44 PM
    Hello medguyhurts8629! and Welcome!

Welcome to Spine-Health

Please click on link for helpful information!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi Medguyhurts8269! ! Thanks for sharing your story with me ! I am off to see the Neurosurgeon this morning, in hopes of getting some answers ! I too, am faced with the harsh reality of yet another grim surgery and recovery ! I was told the second ACDF failed and the CT showed instability at the C4/5...Unfortunately, when facing surgery you have to be ready on all plains - Body, Mind & Spirit...I need more time !  Wish me luck !