Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can a nerve heal once there has been numbness / damage?

Hi All,

I've had two back surgeries. The first one, a microdiscectomy on L5/S1 was in 2005. My sciatic nerve was damaged in that surgery and I've had numbness ever since down the length of my leg (buttocks, calf, outer toes).

My second surgery (microdiscectomy on L4 in 2013) left me with a slight bit more numbness around my toes.

In the past six weeks I've had terrible pain in that same numb leg, but no back pain. I feel like the numbness might be increasing, but it's hard to tell if it is or if it's still residual numbness from that second surgery. I am all up in my head about it and freaking out a bit. I find it a little bit harder to walk.

I saw the surgeon today and he reviewed my MRI, which showed a slight herniation at L4. I am at the point in my life where I will do anything to avoid surgery (as I'm sure we all are here). The pain in my leg is debilitating at times but nothing compared to the pain I had in my back before both surgeries. In other words, I could possibly live with the pain. But it's the numbness that scares me, as I wonder if it will lead to foot drop.

So my question is: once a nerve is damaged, from the herniation pushing on it or any other type of pressure / pinching, what are the chances it will heal through non-invasive treatment? aka, once you lose feeling, is it likely that that loss of feeling is permanent? Is it possible to have "bad nerves?" Having had permanent nerve damage following my two surgeries, I'm just pessimistic about my body's ability to heal nerves. It seems like once I lose feeling I don't get it back.

The doc recommended the usual: epidural, anti-inflams, and PT. I don't think any of those will make the numbness go away.

I would appreciate any advice.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I have read in several different places that a nerve can repair and regenerate itself. It just takes a lonnngggg time. I had a pretty bad episode of sciatica back in 2013 that left my left foot numb until this day! The numbness has gotten less with time but I can tell that there was/is nerve damage. I'm actually considering the surgery that you received but not sure if it will help me. I never have back pain it's always butt and leg pain. It drives me crazy and has been an issue for the past 4 years. I think to myself do I keep going on like this or just get on with surgery? But then I hear of people that end up worse so I don't know what to do. Good luck.
  • chop my leg offcchop my leg off British ColumbiaPosts: 56
    edited 02/02/2016 - 8:25 PM
    I think it depends on how severe the nerve was compressed or damaged. My surgeon thinks my nerve damage is permanent. It gets harder to walk as time goes by for me as I now have muscle wasting in my foot. I don't know if that's causing such severe pain in my foot or the nerve. Guess I'll know more next MRI Feb 23. Doc thinks my l4s2 is also giving me grief as the syptoms didn't magically dissappear aND it was also herniated bUT my l5S1 was way worse so we deat with that first. I just want my right foot back. And no more pain in my leg bUT i dont think thats going to happen. But at least I don't want to chop off my right leg now. Just my right foot some days now. :)
    L5S1..2 microdisectomies in 30 days maybe one more on the agenda. 4 bulged discs and one of them loves my spinal canal X2 :/ and a compression fracture . And now scar tissue wrapped around the nerve causing horrible neuropathy all over again.   VICIOUS CIRCLE :(
  • Kimmy72KKimmy72 Posts: 1,766
    edited 02/03/2016 - 2:48 AM
    From an L4-S1 fusion. I went through transforaminal steroid shots, PT, attempting to reduce inflammation via herbal remedies...all of the above treatments mentioned on a repeated basis. I went for several different opinions, and the consensus was that I needed surgery.
    For life reasons (attending college, husband's layoff, etc.), I put off having my back done for roughly 2 years (during which I was put on quite the variety of pain meds). In the meantime, I took a better paying job--the down side to that being it was ten times more physically demanding than my previous one (same type, but longer hours/more lifting, and having to move FAST doing it! ).
    Even though I had a LOT on my plate, I still regret waiting to have the surgery. My nerves are waaaay beyond ticked off that they were impinged for so long, and they've had NO problem letting me know it almost daily with spasms in my left buttock, leg, and foot. Sometimes the ripping pain is in BOTH legs.
    I hope you all caught that I said ALMOST daily...as I have had some REALLY great (solid level 3 pain days) days since the procedure. I know no back surgery is going to give someone 100% pain relief, but I'd be happier than a pig in poop if level 3 pain is what I have to live with for the rest of my days!
    Nerves are temperamental little things, and I'm keeping moderator Ron's advice to me in mind about recovery: PATIENCE!
    There are all kinds of guestimates about how long it will take for damaged nerves to heal, but everyone's different.
    I wish you all luck and a full night's sleep!
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • Thank you for the responses and the firsthand accounts.  They are so helpful!

The anti-inlammatories seem to have knocked my pain down to about a 3.  I am with you, Kimmy -- I would be happy if it could stay a 3 for the rest of my days.  From my understanding of things, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee that surgery will make the numbness go away (if it has already been damaged), so until I am in blinding pain I will hold off on surgery as long as I can.  I hope that the fact that the anti-inflammatory is working to reduce pain might mean it's also helping ease off on that nerve and maybe it will get a chance to heal.  I just can't afford to lose any more feeling in that leg and foot.