Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long should it take.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I recently had neck surgery on April 25th. I had a herniated disc between C5 and C6 vertabrae. They went in through my neck. As anyone who has had this surgery will attest, you don't talk for several days and it takes a long time for your normal voice to come back. My queston is to someone who has had this surgery, how long does it take to get your voice completely back to normal. Also, when I am really tired in the evenings, it feels like I have a knot in my throat right around the area of the incision. Has anyone else experienced this?

Just wondering.

I would really appreciate your replies.

• I am 10 months post-op of that same surgery. I never had problems with my voice changing to badly. Just a day or so and that was it. I have heard from other ppl that the surgery was really hard on their voices. I did have a smothering feeling in my throat and thats what I had the roughest time with.
    Now my neck is perfect. The only time I get sore is if I'm doing something that requires me to tilt my head back alot otherwise you wouldnt know anything was ever wrong.

Christina :)
  • I really appreciate your note. It has helped me alot. My voice is just a little deeper than normal and if I try to talk louder than normal like calling for my daughter in another room my voice will sometimes work and sometimes it will be kind of broken up sounding. I just hope that it gets back completely to normal soon. I have also noticed that if I'm in a conversation for instance on the phone when I talk for more than 15 minutes or so at a time my voice gets weaker. Maybe this too shall pass. Thanks for your thoughts. RB