Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 new med Tylenol 3. Any experiences with it.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Pain Medications
I finally after 3 months caved in and went to my primary for pain relief. Ortho's here do not RX meds anymore. ONly post op for a few months.
Ortho did give me ultram which helped some of the edge.
I was just given tylenol 3,10 mg valium and soma those 2 I have been on before.
I finally am comfy but so ZONED OUT. I hate that feeling especially now that the kids are home.
Bed is not my place to be all day unless its on a tropical island with a pretty drink LOL 8)

The only issue I am finding w/ the tylenol is I get the jitters, mabye because of the caffine in them??? I know there is not alot. But I think when you drink coffee it doubles it.
I find I am smoking more to with them.
I did not want anything stronger due to the fact of possible surgery again. And if that happens I was adequate pain control when that happens. Hope some can understand that.
Meds are not my choice due to one kidney. but hey ya have to do what ya have to do sometimes.
No driving thats for sure!!!
I am worried the 29th as I have to drive 45 minutes to the ortho's and the appt is not till 12:50. I usually awake at 7 and thats a long time with nothing.
Guess I am ranting a bit. But this site is my life line to the outside world.
Has anyone had the jitters with this med????? I think its going to have to be changed as I have high anxiety. The valium helps with it. But I have been off them for 3 months so its bascially a new med all over again to my system.

Thanks for any input or just support.
Take care
Terri :) :) :)

• I was perscribed this once when I had foot surgery. It made me really jittery too, and then I would crash and be sooooooo tired. I got off that crap as soon as I could.

I don't know if it has caffeine in it. I thought Tylenol 3 had codeine in it. Do all tylenol added meds have caffeine??

Maybe you should ask your dr for something else if it makes you feel anxious. If you want to stay with something mild, maybe darvocet or ultram would work for you.

Good luck!!
  • thanks carly for your response.
    i still have the ultram here. but it is not strong enough to control the severe pain im having. iv been on and off them for 4 yrs almost.
    darvacet has been a no go for me. its like plain tylenol and i get so sleepy. no pain relief from them.
    iv had so many surgeries pain control is hard for me.
    just for my appendix i had a 100 of IV fentynl in post op!!!! i still hurt. whew what a body i got stuck with LOL

i did look up the tylenol 3 and yes they are tylenol, condeine and caffine.
    hydro's as far as i know do not have it. neither do percocets.
    so by tomorrow i think i will call
    yesterday he said "lets try them" he asked me what worked best for my back. but of course i did not want to throw out med names. im uncomfortable doing that.
    i would rather them give suggestions.
    so we shall see what happens.
    right now i took one about a hour ago. then my valium a few ago and i feel like i am on a merry go round whooooooooooooo. not a feelingg i like.
    thanks again for your reply!!!
  • As far as meds go, I think Tylenol with codeine is one of the mildest. It was the only thing they would prescribe for me when I was pregnant. I get jitters as well, never knew they contained caffeine!! But I also get this terrible "blocked" sensation in my ears, with ringing and stuff. I actually have it listed as "allergic" on my medical chart, but I can take other meds, such as vicodin and percocet with really no side affects.

With all of your conditions listed above, I'm surprised they would have you on something so mild. However, only having one kidney is a concern too, maybe thats why they're trying the tylenol 3.

• Terri, T3s DO have caffeine in them; I had to ask for Emtec instead, which is Tylenol with codeine and NO caffeine. It made a huge difference for me, as I'd have the jitters so bad I'd be awake half the night.

When it got to where I needed a higher dose of Codeine, my doc prescribed straight codeine; that way we can increase the dose as needed without worrying about too much Tylenol.

One warning about the codeine...stay on top of stool softeners and fibre!!

• To be honest with you, I really didn't think #3s worked that well for me. I didnt get the jittery feeling though. It sounds like you might need a stronger medicine.
  • I had no idea about the caffiene. Many people have problems with Codeine allergies - that's why the synthetics were created (Vicodin/Hydrocodone, Percocet/Oxycodone). I am going to ask the pharmacist about the caffeine - that's really interesting to me. I would imagine that it's there for either synergistic effects or because Codeine is somewhat sedating, more so than the synthetics. If I remember to ask her tomorrow I will let you guys know, and also see if I can find out how many milligrams there are in there.