Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fentenyl Patch

I am on day 6 of trying the 25 strength Mylan fentenyl patch. While it is certainly helping, I still need the oxycodone on top of it to function. Even then, the pain is still there.
I have an appt in 4 weeks to discuss it all but wondering if it would be OK to contact my doctor with the above concerns. If I could go to a stronger patch that might eliminate the need for oral meds (which she still ok'd for me)
Maybe I need to give it more time. Any suggestions?
Thank you
Ellen Arnel

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    When I started up with pain management, that was the goal...to have daily medication keep the edge off the pain, and no need for breakthrough medication regularly.

In my case, ex...I take breakthrough meds if I have flares and pain out of control.
    Esp when my pain level is moving towards a 9.
    My PM doctor and I, we have a goal to keep me out of ER

For me, doctor begins me on dosage for one month, until our next visit.
    I let him know how effective, or not, the medication worked.

He decides if increase is necessary, or if I need more time to readjust to certain level of pain.
    Again, as explained to me, pain management is to take the edge off, not completely rid me of all pain.

It was explained to me that meds often times need to be taken three to four weeks before proper evaluation can take place,of their effectiveness.
    There is a reason for not changing dosages too quickly. ...my experiences.

You mentioned if you should contact doctor with your concerns.
    You can always call doctor for any concerns you have!

For me, doctor would want to see me, so if I have concerns before my next month appointment, I would need to make another to talk to him.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History