Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not sure where to put this. Definition on CT report????

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:20 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi,
Not sure if this is the right spot. NOt sure where to put it.
Mabye a nurse will see this.
Im a bit concerned about my CT scan of the lumbar area.
Here it goes:
There are aortic atherosclerotic calcifications. ( I knew this with last CT)
There are numerous retroperitoneal phleboliths.
Thats the one!!!!
I tried googling.

Would it mean numerous kidney stones??? Since I have 1 kidney and prone to chronic stones??? If it is I need to get to my urologist ASAP to set up to get them blasted. Don't need to lose this kidney to , to stones all clumping together.

Iv had no symptoms but the low back pain but I contribute that to the fusion. No pain in the belly.
Those 2 big words are driving me nuts.
I will find out Tuesday. But I was just wondering if anyone had a slight clue. Or the same thing written on their scan.
Thanks!!!!
Terri
advertisement

Comments

• I hope this helps... phleboliths= concretion or a stone within a cardiovascular vein

retropetioneal= behind the peritoneum
    peritoneum= the membrane that lines the abdominal cavity.

So, it sounds like to me that you have a stone in the membrane behind the abdominal wall... please dont take this as gospel, its just what i found by breaking down the words and researching them individually... have a good one
  • Can you call your doctor and ask what that means? I know from a few scans I've had in the past, even asking numerous doctors I never got any answers...

example... I had gallstones... got an ultrasound before surgery. Ultrasound results stated something about minimal fluid something or other in left kidney... couldn't get a straight answer from ANYONE... not my PCP, not my Surgeon, no one. Still have no idea what that meant... I had forgotten all about that, I should look into that again!!!
  • I'm a RN but not an image reader. So take what you can from the definition's & hopefully it helps ease your mind.

retroperitoneal simply notes a generalized area which could be specifically anywhere as you can see below it could be any organ that is seen behind the the peritoneum which is the serous membrane that forms the lining of the abdominal cavity — it covers most of the intra-abdominal organs. It is composed of a layer of mesothelium supported by a thin layer of connective tissue(peritoneum is from Wikipedia Encyclopedia) The radioloist who read it may be noting it in the connective tissue for all we know so I wouldn't freak out if you can call the urologist's nurse to ease your mind mayde do that.

Have you seen a cardiologist about the aorta? Frankly that is what I would be working on. I would want to know how much calcification is there. So if you knew about that already I'm sure you've already found out all of that.

here is some other stuff I have found....
    Phleboliths
    Phleboliths, defined as focal calcified venous thrombi, are frequently seen along the normal anatomical course of the lower ureter. They are usually the result of injury to the vein wall commonly from venous hypertension and are composed of concentric calcified strata around a central kernel.
    Typically, phleboliths are rounded with a central lucency and are seen in the true pelvis often below the distal ureter. A limitation of a non-contrast CT is in the evaluation of stone disease when differentiating a pelvic phlebolith from a stone within the ureter, especially in patients with a paucity of retroperitoneal and pelvic fat. Circumferential periureteral edema, or the soft tissue "rim" sign, described as a rim of soft tissue attenuation seen around the circumference of an intraureteral calculus on non-contract CT, can also help differentiate ureteral calculi from phleboliths. Theoretically, phleboliths will not show a "rim" sign. Since larger stones result in stretching of the ureteral wall, the "rim" sign tends to be more commonly associated with the presence of smaller stones.

So depending on how it appears & obviously where they are specifically seems to be the biggy, you may even take the film to the urologist just so he can eyeball it just to be sure...especially since you have a history of stones.

Structures that lie behind the peritoneum are termed "retroperitoneal". These include:

Primarily retroperitoneal:
    urinary:
    adrenal glands
    kidneys
    ureter
    bladder

circulatory:
    aorta
    inferior vena cava

digestive:
    esophagus (part)
    rectum

Reproductive:
    uterus

Good luck, I hope this helps a little don't worry just do what your already doing & that is staying on top of things.
    Take Care
  • Thank you to all that looked up any information.
    I guess alot of it was not making sense to me as now I am on valium & soma mixed for my thoracic disks so I am a little loooooppyyyy!! :? :? :? :?

Petty I am so gracious for you putting down all that information. It also may help some others.
    Of course I have been here (old site) a long time and know that any of this is not a diagnosis. So I will not take any of it to heart. But it is wonderful info!!!!
    When I had the CT of the belly for my appendix. My general surgeon was not concerned about the calcification at this point. I do need to get to a cardo dr and STOP SMOKING. Which will happen if thoracic surgery is in the picture.

I do need so badly to get to the uro dr. I have not been there since 05. Yes BOLD I know. But with so many back issues ya kinda sometimes put other health issues to the side. BUT that is not one to fool with.

So I will let you all know what the ortho says about the report when I go. And hopefully he can put a point to it all.

Thank you all again!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend, or even just try a little if your suffering in pain. I KNOW I AM!!! :) :) :) ;) ;) ;)
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.