Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post op fusion 1.6 months, now neck's going to hell

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I'm so miserable because I'm not only recovering from a 2 level TLIF, but now, I have developed shoulder and neck pain that radiates down one arm. This was confusing because it was the same arm with the wrist fracture.
I am immobile until midday, can't move until showering and taking meds. This is not the first time of this tho; Over a year ago a bulge showed up on an MRI; I do have DDD in the cervical, AND thoracic area. Of course it's worse in the lumbar.
I feel old,tired, depressed (will not tell any doctor from bad experiences in past) I deal with it here and have family support. I feel like a cheesy rerun; what's next-that again? tell me something new. I tried to have a sense of humor, and pass it around here. I just don't have it in me anymore. I want to be a normal mom, not a cripple (I've gotten the looks). I have to keep using the walker for now even after this long because I tend to fall. I have a lot of instability (physical :. I'm just tired and and my life is on hold.

Whoever told me to call my neuro stat when I fell down on my back last week; I think it was vic, anyway thank you.

I also missed my appt because of the new issues . I would have found out if I fused or something. How long does that typically take? Does it depend on the person?

Thank you again for reading this; I've been in the dumps and didn't post sooner. I hope that you all have a good and bearable day.

• It was C5-6 back then.
  • Gosh you are sure having one heck of a time. Can they give you a steroid injection and a nerve block in your cervical spine to hold you over for a while?

Can you get some happy pills? I was taking some before my first surgery date and I can tell you it made a world of difference for me. I have since stopped but will resume after the fusion.

Hang in there,

• Oh Meydey, what a nightmare! My heart goes out for you. So sorry for all your pain, and now you even missed your appointment. And on top of all, you fell down. Ouch!! Hopefully, you will be able to get a new one very soon. Sounds like you need to talk to your doctor.

I didn't quite understand, did you have TLIF on your lumbar region? Based on previous postings, fusion can take place anywhere from 6 weeks (earliest and quite rare) to a year or even two and it is different for everybody, there are no hard set rules.. At my 6 weeks checkup, there was no fusion yet.

Now as far as the neck pain, you definitely have to discuss this with your doctor. Actually, a few weeks ago (2 months after my fusion) I had a lot of neck and shoulder pain, the kind like you get when you sleep in a weird position, except I now always sleep in the same exact position (on my back, with pillow under my knees). It took about three weeks to get better, after taking Tylenol, hot showers and using the heating pad, and I even had to take a 1/2 Vicoden at bed time, yet after surgery I did not have to take a single one.

But due to DDD and bulging in your cervical region, you may have other reasons for your problems that only your doctor can handle.

Hope you will find releif soon.

• Thank Julie. Right now I'm taking "happy" pill, a happy patch, valium, and neurontin :)

I have my appt w/ neuro next week. I'm sure they'll order new MRI's b/c the ones I'm bringing are a bit old. I've had many an ESI's in the lumbar region, but if it comes to my neck, I will wus out. The thing with me is that I don't do well handling multiple major illnesses. I put my full effort into the one to try to recover as soon as possible. It bothers me to type because the the broken wrist; I don't care. It's this site and all of you that help me make it to another day.

Muscle relaxers help out so well, but mine will have me konked out all day. If I have to, I break it in two. It's just that I don't like the feeling of sleeping my life away, and I want to interact with the family. But if its real bad, I will do what I have to.