Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I think I need to join this corner of the forum...

aimlessaaimless Posts: 372
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Since I re-herniated L5-S1 last December, I've put on 16lbs. I know it may not seem like much but I'm just 5'2" and I've been the same weight for years. Its definitely due to a lack of exercise due to my inability to move around much, plus some overeating due to depression from being in pain all the time. Cyclical. Nothing new to anyone here, I'm sure!

If I do need to have surgery (fusion or disc replacement) I want to be as lean as possible, so I am motivated to take the weight off. Just looking at my stomach in the mirror every morning is motivation but I still can't quite seem to get there... Okay that's not exactly true, I've been able to take off 2 lbs and keep it off for a couple of weeks. Its a start. Its the day to day motivation I struggle with.

Thanks for listening and I'm inspired to make some progress along with the rest of you (and keep my hands out of the bread basket!!)

• and yes please join our weight loss group. we weigh in on sundays and try to encourage and support each other. we will be glad to have you.
  • Day to day motivation is so hard I swear! Come hang out with us and maybe together we can all help each other. Or at least comisserate!

• Though my latest diet strategy is trade-offs - if I want a sweet treat after dinner (my weakness) then no snacking in the afternoon, etc. Its worked okay this week but I've been really busy at work so that helps me stay distracted.

I've also been walking as much as I can tolerate this week (I'm in NYC on a business trip, such a great walking city). I recently started Topamax and Tramadol to combat my nerve pain, its been up and down in terms of effectiveness, but I think I overdid it this week because I have been hurting the past two nights. I go home tomorrow night, I wish I could say that sitting on a plane for 5 hours would help but it won't. I hate having spine issues, I just want to be normal.

Okay thanks for listening to me whine. I'll weigh in on Sunday!
  • is great at helping with the weight loss! I just could not take the other side effects. Good luck and see ya Sunday!
  • Made me depressed and gave me headaches. I took it for migraines.

Christina :)
  • Then again, I also take Wellbutrin, maybe that explains the latter. Definitely affecting my appetite, not craving sweets after meals as I usually do and I get full really fast, I have not finished a meal since I started this med.

It has, however, made me forgetful (one nickname I read for this med was "dopamax") as in I forget people's names, I forget what outfit I was wearing yesterday (seems innocent, I work in the fashion industry, need to remember the esoteric stuff) and every so often I stop mid sentence, train of thought de-railed. I'm hoping no one notices the frequency of my new-found forgetfulness...
This discussion has been closed.