Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Linda GLLinda G Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My doctor did not advise PT after my ACDF 3 level with corpectomy. I am still in some pain but the OS released me at 10 wks stating I was fusing fine 90% fine. I'm still having some pain issues and was wondering what they do at PT for cervical patients. I'd like thoughts on whether is was worthless or helpful. I'm getting negatives from most i discuss this any. Any have any helpful suggestions as to what they would do and is it helpful. I'm suppost to start Monday. Confused as ever...thank you all...my soul mates

Linda G

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Thats about what I think we will get from Physical Terrorists ....

Instruction on ADL (Activities of Daily Living) like how not to turn or heads!

Maybe if were lucky .... a nice massage and diathermy or ultrasound.

I am also 10 weeks post .... see my pic??

4 level ACDF - posterior rods also - and with cage ...

This was after a failed 3 level ACDF 2 years ago.

Bottom line is my pain is increasing .... I will try anything beside going back on narcs.

Are we having fun yet?

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• For me, I credit physical therapy for a lot of the progress that I made. We not only worked on my neck, but also on increasing leg and arm strength since my neck problems affected the other extremities too. I think the key is finding a physical therapist who is trained in spines, not just joints like knees and hips.

A good physical therapist will work with you, teaching you the proper posture to support your neck, helping you learn exercises that will strengthen your neck and shoulders. they will teach you about ergonomics and the way to sit at a desk without hurting your neck. You'll learn proper stretching and strengthening exercises. And on top of that, they can do electrical stimulation adn deep tissue massage to help get rid of those nasty knots in your rhomboids that are often associated with neck issues.

They'll train you to hold your head in line with your spine rather than sticking it out like a turtle sticking out of his shell.

I have done so much physical therapy over the last 2 years that I should open my own clinic. dang, that would require a license, so can't do it. this time around I am doing self-directed water therapy, and I have significantly increased my range of motion already. I can't believe how much of a workout I can get in the water!

If you feel that you are still needing some help, ask your surgeon to prescribe some physical therapy, and then find a good one.

Good luck to you!
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • well i had a three level fusion done and started physio two months out.I've been doing it for a month now,but alot of it isn't focused on my neck. i had a lot of weak muscles so there concentrating more on strengthening them and restrengthening my neck as well.Its definitely helping but its a slow go.i wouldn't consider my therapy negative at all.I do have times when i'm in pain but with strengthening that's going to happen.i'm much farther ahead of the game now then i was before my surgery and any improvement to me is a success.good luck with your therapy.go into it with an open mind you'll end up getting more out of it that way. LOL
  • Hey, I think our necks are twins! Did you have your revision done both posteriorly and anteriorly at the same time?

Sorry you are having such a hard time. I am about 10 weeks post op too, and this one has been rough. I think the posterior muscles hurt worse than anything. Mine was C5-6-7-T1. Surgeon started in the front, removed all the old hardware and cleaned everythign out, removed the C6 and C7 vertebrae, inserted an awesome looking titanium cage filled with my own bone. Flipped me over and decompressed my spine from the back too, inserted bmp, installed rods and pins and sewed me up. I don't know about you, but I feel picked on!

I'd just like to give you some encouragement and let you know that I know exactly what you are going through. It has been a rough 2 years and I've overcome a lot of obstacles. I won't give up hope! One day I will feel better again. and you will too.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Cindy's soo right! PT was absolutely necessary for me and helped tremendously in my recovery. You also need to help yourself.....work with the PT, tell him/her your reactions to the exercises, DO them as directed, etc.
  • Have to agree with Cindy and Patricia on this one. After my first ACDF, PT went well , but it turns out it was to get me ready for my second surgery. After my ACDF and Laminectomy it has been much needed. I am 4 months post. Not only have they been working on my neck area, but also strengthing my core to help me hold up my head. I also have some spinal cord damage which left my left side of my body weaker than the right. The muscles that were cut are starting to respond to therapy and little by little things are getting better every day. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.
  • I had PT after my first surgery and about 4 weeks in started having new pain and had to stop....that is when they discovered I needed a revision. Did not have PT after the revision, surgeon said he did not want any twisting of the neck. I think I need it.....my muscle's are horrible and I have no strength at all. The good thing about going to PT is they are trained to see problems....mine did.

• I'm about to go back for my 3rd round of PT and I'm looking forward to it! To tell you the truth, I've become a pro at the neck stuff and my surgeon has given us the green light to do whatever is needed sooo.....I'm going to have my therapist concentrate on my core strength, my upper body (which has atrophied dramatically from nerve and spinal cord damage) and my legs. I have lost a lot of coordination in both my arms and legs so I have a lot of hope for this go-around.

For the neck I believe it's essential to get back as much range of motion that you can and sometimes we don't realize how much we can actually get back. Some pain can be attributed to muscles being overused or being used in the wrong way after surgery; we often "guard" ourselves unknowingly.

Find a good therapist and one that you can get along with. You will find that you'll spend a lot of time with him/her!

It sounds like there are a lot of us here who are pro-therapy now...does that balance it out? LOL
    Good luck to you!

• let's see the heat follwed by the massage of my neck muscles, some deep tissue work in my spine, weight training for shoulders and arms, strengthening of my neck muscles, flexibility/ROM for my neck, exercises for the TMJ I ended up with from the brace, lessons in posture & ergonomics ... no, I could not have done all this stuff for myself. I'm a PT fan!
  • Sounds like you are healing! Your PT let you do weight training for shoulders and arms? That sounds promising!--Mazy
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Hi Linda,

Really ONLY your doctor can advise you if you should be doing PT or not.

Physical Therapy can be so very beneficial for most spinal patients. Physical Therapy is necessary to help you bridge between your surgery and your road to recovery. There are muscles that need to be strengthened, muscles that need to be stretched, you need more flexibility, mobility, etc.

But its not for everyone. There are patients who do not have any form of physical therapy for a period of time. That time and the reasons are something that your doctor needs to explain and provide a detailed plan.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    pushed PT .... they were kinda like ... well if you want to .... then go ahead ... But the idea of a nice massage does sound good from time to time. I will give it a try and report "back".

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• but seriously, happy to be able to lift things. without pain. I am doing SO much better. now if I could just turn my head ...
  • You are right about those 5 lb weights.....never thought that 3 lbs would kick my. ;) ..LOL Just keep working away and look for the weekly improvements.

This discussion has been closed.