Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain med after darvocet

shar51sshar51 Posts: 241
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Pain Medications
I have been taking Darvocet since April and it was doing an ok job until this shoulder and arm flare up that has been going on for weeks. I have an appointment with the ortho doctor to rule out any shoulder problems....next thing it could be is my neck. What pain med is a step up from Darvocet? I stopped the Ultram ER back in April because of bad side effects so that drug is a no no. I don't want to move up too fast on the pain pill ladder because I know later on down the road there will be a need for stronger med's.

• Vicodin or Tyenol #3 are a step up (though maybe Darvocet and Tylenol #3 are comparable, never taken either). Do you take an anti-inflammatory or muscle relaxer at all. If you don't want to move up in naracotics, you could try either of those in conjunction with the Darvocet and see how that works. But my guess is that you have built a tolerance and will have to move up to the Vicodin. Percocet is an option, also. Many people, myself included find Percocet to be more tolerable and more effective than Vicodin, though it is slightly more potent.

Good luck! I was on a low dose of Percocet and tramadol for many months, than had to start moving up rather rapidly. I am now on Oxycontin 30mg BID and oxycodone 15 mg IR BID in between the ER doses. It was a rather large jump, and I still don't feel it's really taking care of it, but I'm not sure how much more I want to do, even though I think my doctor would be willing.

Actually, don't ask your doctor for anything - just explain that it's not doing the job. Don't go in there and say, "Hi could I have some vicodin, please?" We just had to give over a couple more CII scripts to the cops the other day, not sure why, but it's making me nervous, as I thought this person was a legitimate pain patient. And maybe they are, I think the cops go a little overboard b/c they don't understand pain, but I guess it's none of my business and off topic, lol. NOT accusing you of anything of course, my mind just kind of wandered onto the topic. Not related in anyway ;)
  • I never ask for drugs by name....in fact I am the one telling the doctors I want the least amount possible. I tolerate pain very well and don't want to take anything strong....I do take Lyrica 75mg 2x day and that does help the nerve pain some. I know I can move the dosage up but for now would like to function the best I can at this level. I went to the ortho doctor yesterday for my shoulder and arm pain and the xrays looked good which mean my pain is coming from my neck.....not good.....he wants me to try mobic and see if it gets better and in 4 weeks if not he will know the pain is for sure coming from the neck. It's the ugly hardware rearing it's ugly head...I know the pain, had it before.

• Vicodin works very well for most pain.

If you've been taking Darvocet and Ultram for pain then you really must be able to tolerate pain well. Neither of those medications are known to work particularly well.
  • I keep on hearing this. It's usually from people who take Vicodin at minimum and typically much more intense pain killers.

After my discectomy all I had from my surgeon was Darvocet. He said that is all I should need. I took 10-20 Darvocets for the 2 weeks after surgery then stopped. I can assure you it doesn't make all your pain go away. It does turn down the volume for me so I can go about my business. Without being dopey. I can't take more than 2 a day. After that I get dopey and I can't sleep.

It depends on the person as to what works and what is the next dose. For me moving from Darvocet to Lortab and I can't function on 2 Lortab. I just drone out. Supposedly Lortab and Vicodin are the same.

I would not go into my doctors office and start rattling off a shopping list of drugs I want. Simply telling him Darvocet is no longer effective. Give me something more potent to reach my pain.
  • I use the maximum dosage of Darvocet. While it does not leave me pain free and does not last until the next dose, it works well enough for me. Other pain meds have messed up my stomach and just made other problems for me. Also, I want to leave my options open for later on when I may need stronger meds. Vicodin knocks me out, messed up my stomach and I actually passed out! No pain though. I am willing to accept some pain and limitations until my surgery.
  • For any stronger drugs, I can get that easy....they always want me to try the stronger med's and I am the one who says no. Since my revision surgery 15 months ago all I have had is the Ultram and then in April switched to the Darvocet...I have nerve damage and actually in more pain than before surgery....I just thought there might be something after Darvocet without moving to lortab or percocet or vicoden...none of which I have taken but know they are strong.....I am thinking of on down the road and need something stronger. I don't ever name out drugs to my doctor....he does that on his on and I shake my head no. Yes I do take pain well....for 2 years prior to my surgery all I took was tylenol...no epi's no nothing and by the time I seen the surgeon he could not believe it....on a scale of 1-10 he had my neck at a 9 and after he got in my neck to repair it he said it was worst than the MRI even showed. I thank God each day that I handle pain as well as I do.