Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone with nerve damage/pain .. PLEASE HELP!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Pain Medications
Hello everyone,
I really don't know where to start this post, but I've been battling with, and trying to understand, the pain in my right leg.

Back in December, I went to the Motocross Winter Olympics in Florida. I raced on Friday/Saturday but was just a spectator on Sunday. So, Saturday night I was drinking fairly heavily out of frustration for my poor performance over the weekend. I changed the oil in my friends bike and was riding around the pits before I put it into the trailer for the night. I hit something in the road (don't recall what) and flipped the bike over on me. As some of you may know, the new 4-stroke MX bikes have EXTREMELY hot exhausts. Anyhow, during the crash the exhaust got into my leg and burned it quite badly.

Regardless, I was really too drunk to know the extent of the burn and just taped it up and continued drinking. Finally I guess I passed out in the RV and went to sleep. Here is where the trouble arises.

The following morning I woke up, pretty hung over .. and my leg was asleep. I tried to stand up to shake it out but couldn't! I started freaking out .. my right leg was completely numb. We got the EMT at the track to come to the RV. I thought I was having a stroke.

They rushed me to the local hospital in Ocala. Once I got there they told me I had developed compartment syndrome and had to do 2 emergency fasciotomys (leg saving procedure where they slice the leg open down to where the fascial compartments are) to relieve the pressure. The surgeon initially wanted to just amputate but I said no way, what else is there. Anyways, I was in ICU for 3 days, and in the hospital for a total of 34 days.

For that entire time I could barely lift my leg from the thigh to knee, and from the knee down, my leg was completely dead. No movement and no sensation whatsoever.

It turns out that I was hit with a double whammy. Since I was so drunk, I laid on my right side without moving for like 8 hours, and also developed compression neuropathy, which is what caused the lack of movement and nerve damage in my upper leg.

The fasciotomy caused the nerve damage from the knee down.

Regardless, all of this combined to cause me some of the most excruciating pain imaginable. I screamed and cried like there was no tommorow. They pumped me full of morphine, oxycontin and all of the serious meds and some of them made me feel a little better or sleepy, but none helped with the pain.

They finally tried Methadone and surprisingly, that offered the first bit of relief that I had gotten.

Anyways, today, its been 7 months later. I am back in KY where I am from, and I am still dealing with unbelievable amounts of pain. I've went to a few doctors around here and as some of you may know, KY is home of the worst prescription drug abuse problem in the entire world.

My physiatrist says no nerve blocks untill I give my leg 12-18months to heal. I have regained all movement and some feeling in my leg, however I have complete foot drop. I can kick my leg up, but cant raise my foot.

Anyway, I am just wondering what some of you with similar nerve pain do? Currently I am on Lyrica and a 50mg Duragesic patch every 3 days. That combined helps a little, but at night I am woken several times and really have to baby my foot/leg.

I don't do any physical therapy, and am doing little to rebuild my muscles. Anything other than some very light walking throughout the day will cause me absolute hell come night time.

The DR's in Florida had me on 40mg Methadone every 8 hours and said that the most important thing at the time was for me to use my leg and try to get as much use out of it as possible, because just sitting around in pain, and avoiding using my leg, wouuld really end up doing more harm to my leg, and if I didnt get on top of it in the early going, after its been too long, it'll be too late.

I am desperately searching for the right treatment or the right doctors. Even with the babying I am doing I am still suffering with all of this burning, vibrating, electrical bullshit and I really don't think its fair.

Thanks for listening!

• :) wow! that is quite a situation. i want to welcome you to the forum. we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are in a a real predicament. all of us have them, just different ones. you may be alone in how it happened but we all are together with having pain. it often hurts before the pain gets better. it sounds like you have been advised what to do, to get the blood flow going. you have been told what can happen if you don't. i am sure those are serious words you were told about your leg moving around. anyway, good luck and i hope you feel better soon and healing takes place. Jenny :)
  • Hey there, thanks for your story. I have nerve pain too and I've been taking methadone for it and lately since I went down to 5 mg, I've still had a lot of pain. When I started off on 10 mgs tho I felt like a new person. Good luck with everything!!
  • Hi Mike,
    Hope you are still around......I also have a complete foot drop, and honestly, one of the things that you might do is get into some physical therapy to help you strengthen those muscles and keep the achilles tendon supple before you loose it completely.
    I wear an afo, and I know that if I don't wear it, my foot hangs down, and because I can't pull it up, the tendon within a short time tends to get tighter and tighter.
    A towel, under your foot, so you can use that to pull your foot up, will help keep that joint flexible.
    Try picking up marbles or something similar with your toes, and putting them into a bowl...leggo's anything small and easily held with your toes will work.
    What strength are at on the Lyrica? You can be titrated up to 600 mg over 24 hours, but do NOT do that on your own. Consult your doctor to find out about increasing your dosages to help manage the neuro pain better. There are a few other meds that they can try to get your better pain control with the neuro pain as well.
    Best of luck to you as you heal, and keep working on that foot.....
  • I had something similar happen to me. I had moved something with my 18 yr old son and about an hour after we finished moving this chest of drawers, I had this horrible pain in my right leg. I know it was nerve pain because I've had it before only this time, it wasn't going away. Finally it subsided and I found that it left my right leg from the calf down to the big toe numb. To this day, it's numb. Sometimes the foot is very painful and it swells up. It's very strange but it's almost as if I had a "nerve attack" and it left my leg numb. I used to walk around the house barefoot and I can't do that anymore either. It's terrible, it feels like there is a ball that I'm standing on all the time.
  • >:D< so sorry about your pain, you sound like your pain is horrible. i noticed you posted this back in july 08 i was just wondering how you are doing now. i can certainly relate to your pain. i became sick july 07 and it's been hell since then. i have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and neuropathy. i also have unbeleiveable nerve pain. i found your post when i googled unbeleiveable nerve pain. :) today i stayed home from work, it's my third day of horrible pain, i medicate as much as i can just to get some kind of relief. when i got home yesterday it took me 3 hrs just to get some relief. the heating pad helps. i notice many people with nerve pain get some relief with methadone. i'm thinking about asking for it next dr's visit. i do take lyrica, hydrocodone and tiazindine. i was wondering how you are doing now, 2 yrs later. anyway i just wanted to let you know you are not alone. i do know that knowing someone with the same symptoms helps, because we understand your pain. sometimes i think that my friends and relatives are tired of hearing me say i hurt and sometimes i feel that they don't beleive my pain. one of my co-workers once told me that i did not look like i was in pain. if only she could feel my pain.
  • Hi Mary Ann,

You are sure nice to write. I do not have bad nerve pain like you. Just some in my neck where a bone spur was for years and years. It's caused weakness and symptoms down my right hand too.

I just wanted say "Hi" and to welcome you to the forums. I've learned so much here. If you want to, post some about yourself on a new topic. You can send me a PM (private message) too.