Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need some help and advice - DDD

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
2 weeks ago I experienced severe pain in my right leg from my butt down to the ankle when I got up in the morning. As I walked around the pain seemed to get less and less. I tried seeing if it would just go away and it would not. I went to my doctor and he ordered an MRI. He then sent me to a Spine Surgeon.

Diagnosis: DDD, Spondylolisthesis L5-S1 - Grade I-II with a synovial cyst causing pain down my right leg and may cause dropped foot.

They told me that I needed surgery. Minimally invasive but they will go in and put two pins and a cage, and a protein that grows bone in place of the disc, and remove the cyst. It will require 3 months in a back brace and all that goes with back surgery, even though it will be done through 3 small incisions. I will not be able to bend from the waist for 3 months.

I'm upset because I feel that this is a drastic measure. While I do have back pain from time to time through the years and know that it is hereditary... I'm an active person and I feel that there must be some other alternative. I've looked on the web and find that I could have the cyst removed (odds are it may come back) but it seems to me that would make more sense to try before having the surgery. Right now I can function completely during the day, no pain at night. Only when I get up in the morning do I have pain. Today all I have is numbness in my right ankle all day. I just went on Celebrex 200 mg once a day.... I was taking Ibuprofen 800 mg 3 times a day, but the doctor preferred Celebrex until surgery. They did not give me any other options except surgery.

When I call other spine surgeons now all I hear is well since you have been diagnosed we have to look at things before we would consider you to be a patient. I don't even know who to go to at this point.

I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.... any advice would sure be appreciated.