Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pleurisy - related/unrelated to ACDF?

• I had a problem with the O2 saturation after surgery too being too low. They couldnt bring it up any no matter what the tried. They xrayed my chest and did a cat scan which ended up showing pnemonia starting, the bottom of my lungs were flattening out so they made me continually do the breathing exercises and putme on high doses of O2 even going as far as to use one of those breathing machines a sleep apnea patient uses during the night. I had to come home on O2 and got rid of it about 3 weeks later. I just had an xray and tests done again and it shows that something is still in my lungs but they think it isnt something to worry about. Theyre gonna do a CT scan again in two months.

Hope you start feeling better,

Christina :)
  • Shera,
    Just FYI, albuterol sulfate is a broncholdialator, it is not a steroid. It is a fast acting rescue inhaler. Steroid inhalers are also commonly used for asthma, such as asthmacort, flovent, aerobid. These are long acting and are usually dosed 1-2 times per day. They decrease inflammation in the airways. You might check with your MD about the benefits of inhalers with pleurisy. I hear pleurisy is quite painful. Did you have a scan to rule out pulmonary embolus as well? Post surgery patients are at risk for PE. Hope your breathing easier, Sue
  • Just an update...
    Yesterday I was in such intense pain from the pleurisy that I called the nurse and asked about an albuterol inhaler. I was told that this was for constriction and would not help with the pleurisy(?). Instead they talked to the surgeon and he said to go ahead and take IBProfen, 3 pills 3x a day (the regular over the counter strength). And once the pleurisy pain calms down, to back off the IBProfen. I'm not quite 4 weeks yet post-op ACDF, and am a little concerned about effecting my fusion success. But oh what a difference the IBProfen makes!! So I'm doing that for now, and hopefully it goes away quickly!