Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hip Pain

maryelleninnjmmaryelleninnj Posts: 101
I have spondylolisthesis L4L5 and severe arthritis. My shooting pains have improved, but I still get bad hip pain when walking just 5 minutes. I had hip xrays before seeing ortho. They were normal. Do I need an MRI to confirm that my pain is from the spine problem? Or is it normal to have this type of hip pain? Sometimes my knee hurts too. It doesn't feel like arthritis.

Mary Ellen

• I also have knee and hip pain but I do have arthritic knees. My doc told me that the knee and hip pain will come from you walking differently compensating for your back problems. I tend to think he is right because when my back gets really bad people around me notice that I am walking with my foot turned out. I also get severe ankle pain and swelling.
  • :) hi! ask about a bone sccan. it can show up inflamation and give an idea of where the arthritis is. depending on you age it is a good idea to check for fractures as well. my hip pain is constant. I love to walk with my dog but can hardly make it more than 15 minutes at a time . i limp as it is. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • I thought we only did xrays, but just checked, and I did have a CT/scan in February. So it must be from the sciatica. After I walk for only 5 minutes, the hip pain starts. It goes away when I sit. But if I'm forced to walk through the pain, my whole leg ends up hurting, and it's hard to get to sleep.

I'm getting the epidural injection because we'll be traveling (lots of walking), and I don't want to be popping pain pills all the time. I'm planning on getting the surgery (laminectomy and fusion), but it will have to wait at least another year. Fortunately, my pain getting out of bed is improving, because I made myself sleep on my back all night. Not my favorite way to sleep, but whenever I revert to side sleeping, the shooting pain comes right back. I haven't been consistent with my PT exercises the last couple of months, and will have to make sure I do them again.

Thanks everyone,
    Mary Ellen