Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TENS unit

malawmmalaw Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Pain Management
Has anyone gotten a TENS unit through Medicare? I use mine daily, but am afraid they will deny it. I have to got to my PCP on the 5th to have him check into if I still need it. I must say it has saved me taking a lot of my pain meds for the surgery related pain. I have also used it on some of the more painful arthritis spots. With arthritis from head through toes I sure would come in hands. I use it at least once or twice a day on the leg that is doing the transferance pain - also back if I sit too much.

• I think. I'm sure Medicare is different then what I had... Medicaid I believe called MassHealth. I'm sure it depends on what state you live in and such as benefits vary. I'm not sure about Medicare though. I too was concerned that MassHealth wouldn't cover it, and my PT didn't know either. She figured we could give it a shot, and I figured if they didn't cover it, I could always give it back lol!! That was in Dec of 06, and never heard a word from MassHealth about it.

I'm glad to hear that the TENS is working so well for you. Mine didn't do much for me at the time, and I stopped using it. Turned out my problems actually weren't related to my neck/shoulder at all. Turned out it was my gall bladder of all things, causing the pain!!

At one of my last PT appointments, they said I should try the TENS for my lumbar problems, but I haven't yet. I would like to bring it in, and have them show me how to use it again, and where would be the appropriate spot to position it. Gosh, if I could get the slightest relief I would be quite a happy girl!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    TENS units can provide nice pain relief. It will not FIX any problem, but it sure does HELP.

I have a Omron Home Portable Tens Unit. Cost about $150 in USA and is well worth the money, insurance or not. My pilot friend picked it up for me in Tokyo on one of his routes.

It works great, the only problem I have is that it is written all in Japanese, the buttons on the unit, the directions, etc.
    So for me its been a trial and error. If I hit the wrong button, I might fly out of my chair! But I've got it done now and when I have some flareups, I use it almost all day long.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have had my Tens Unit for about 10 years. Works great to help relieve some tense muscles. Also wakes up those pesty nerves that don't want to cooperate.

Although if you have nerve damage like I do...you gotta watch where you locate the pads. It will light you up! LOL

• Thanks everybody. I am down to using mine in the late afternoon. I do OK in the morning with the pain in my thigh, but by afternoon I need some relief. Figure when school starts I may need it more since I will have to be more active.
    I wish I had had it last year with my knee replacement as I had pain in the lower leg that cause me more trouble than the knee.
    Hope you all do well - at least better.
  • HI All,

I just bought a TENS unit and am pleased so far. Amazon.com has great prices for home units; mine cost about $55 USD. It is helping with muscle spasms after a posterior cervical disc decompression and foraminotomy.

MY question is the placement of the patches. I think the manual that came with the machine is a bad translation from the original Uzbek in which it was written—it makes absolutley no sense at all. I am doing trying and error wth some good results, but open to suggestions from more expereinced users. I place on patch onthe spot where the pain is localized and another closer to the spine and this seems to help.

Thanks everyone and good luck to us all.
  • hi all you Americans
    over here in the uk the top of the range tens is the acticare .as it is a very good tens and its an external spinal cord stimulator i think that acticare will send to the USA .bit i think you can purchase through eBay or amazon .its well worth it .see my post on www.pain support or/and read www.acticare .com for more info
  • hi everyone i have a tens unit for about a year now. i normally take it when traveling and use it at night in the motel room. i dont use it all the time because i get a quizzy feeling in my stomach, may have to be the endorfines released in the body? for me its a great tool i use for traveling and somtimes use it at home. replacement itemsare automaticly sent to me and billed for ins pay.
  • Medicare has been paying most of the monthly pad replacements and then Ins. picks up more. They may bill me about $11.00.

I use it every day at work and esp. if we are doing Wal Mart. I was OK for a couple of days and then it has been rough.

So I am really enjoying mine, but the large back pads work better (and easier) than the square ones. I am going to ask Empi if I could get two of those instead of the squares.