Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nausea from back pain?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi All -
Does anyone else get nausea from their thoracic back pain? Sometimes I feel like my pain in so deep in my back it feels almost like it's reached my stomach internally and is making my back hurt. It's hard for me to tease this apart though, because occasionally my back hurts so bad it's almost like the pain makes my stomach hurt, plus my pain causes a rapid heart rate which can make you sick to your stomach as well. Add to all that icky pain meds that make the tummy oh so unhappy and it's really confusing!

So can anyone help me clear this up? Is it possibly that it's my back pain itself that's making my stomach hurt? If so, what can I do other than eat pepto (which really doesn't help all that great). I've lost 17 pounds in the past month alone because of this - I just have no appetite, and have been experiencing lots of vomiting when I do eat which I'm attributing to my Lyrica and Fentenayl. I was only 120 pounds to start with, so I just look terrible now that I'm at about 100lbs. I really want to gain weight back, but with my tummy feeling icky I have to force myself to eat anything during the day.

I went to my PCP about this, and she gave me two meds: one that's normally Rx to take every day to treat acid reflux, and another to take when I'm having these episodes of vomiting to treat the nausea. It's normally Rx for people dealing with nausea from chemotherapy so I know it should be strong enough, but it's really not working. I go back to my PM doctor on Tuesday, so I'll ask him about it too.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated....
advertisement

Comments

• dwaynz75ddwaynz75 LafayettePosts: 1

Hi All -
    Does anyone else get nausea from their thoracic back pain? Sometimes I feel like my pain in so deep in my back it feels almost like it's reached my stomach internally and is making my back hurt. It's hard for me to tease this apart though, because occasionally my back hurts so bad it's almost like the pain makes my stomach hurt, plus my pain causes a rapid heart rate which can make you sick to your stomach as well. Add to all that icky pain meds that make the tummy oh so unhappy and it's really confusing!

So can anyone help me clear this up? Is it possibly that it's my back pain itself that's making my stomach hurt? If so, what can I do other than eat pepto (which really doesn't help all that great). I've lost 17 pounds in the past month alone because of this - I just have no appetite, and have been experiencing lots of vomiting when I do eat which I'm attributing to my Lyrica and Fentenayl. I was only 120 pounds to start with, so I just look terrible now that I'm at about 100lbs. I really want to gain weight back, but with my tummy feeling icky I have to force myself to eat anything during the day.

I went to my PCP about this, and she gave me two meds: one that's normally Rx to take every day to treat acid reflux, and another to take when I'm having these episodes of vomiting to treat the nausea. It's normally Rx for people dealing with nausea from chemotherapy so I know it should be strong enough, but it's really not working. I go back to my PM doctor on Tuesday, so I'll ask him about it too.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated....

hi Anon, I just googled back pain that makes me feel sick and got your concern. I too have deep middle back pain and have fallen ill. I think it is tied to my back pain. Yesterday the left shoulder blade area/back was hurting deeply. I mowed my grandmothers yard, which isn't very big but starting the mower takes a few quick pulls. Today I was actually getting ready to go see the Dr. About my back/hip pain when it hit me. I've been feeling sick most of the day and I am almost certain it is tied to my thoracic pain. Doctors refuse to look at the middle of my back although I've had both neck and back surgeries because of burni as and stenosis. I've even had someone tell me that I probably have more spots than just the two at the top and bottom that are bad. Docs just say it's rare and blow me off. I wish I had the money to buy my own MRI, I would. I am 100% certain I have issues with my thoracic as it hurts me most of the time even worse than my failed lower lumbar surgery.