Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyn, Polly, & Julie's big days are fast approaching

JulieAJJulieA Posts: 1,420
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I wanted to start a new thread for "Us" three amigos :P

I am finally ready..... I am planning on being gone all next week. My hand looks even better now- so I can't imagine needing to postpone on Sunday.

Lyn- welcome ;) tell us a little about your self.

• I am wishing you "3 amigos" the best of luck with your surgeries! I am sure you will do well and we will all be here when you are recovering.

• Hi guys,
    Thanks for starting this new post. It makes me glad to have a couple of people who will be having surgery close together with me, but sooooooo sorry we have to be in this boat.

I am 46, been married for 26 years, have 4 kids. Connor-17, Carson-14, Cameron-13, Caity-11. We were counting on Connor, our oldest to help with the running while I was recuperating, but he wrecked his truck last night, and he might end up having his insurance canceled. Oh well, we go to plan B.

I have struggled since fall 2005 with back pain which was a herniated disc, very large herniation right in the middle, L3-L4 level. Severe shooting pain down both legs. I had a laminectomy 12/05, didn't work. Tried different treatments to avoid having a fusion since then. In March, after several months of being off narcotic pain meds, L3-L4 re-herniated. Back on Lortab 10s. Started searching for the right surgeon. 3 surgeons, (2 neuros 1 ortho)recommended the anterior/posterior lumbar fusion. The neurosurgeon I chose thought that the PLIF would be almost as effective, but alot less painful. I chose him, though I hope it isn't a mistake not to do both ways. In June, pain got much, much worse, and new MRI showed much more stenosis of both the spinal and nerve roots. Started on Percocet 10mg, now 6 times a day, barely able to do anything.

I am scheduled for Wed, July 30th. Just searching to find more info on what to expect

Anyway, thanks for including me and I will pray for you both to have great and successful surgeries, and quick recoveries.

• Lyn, Polly and Julie and everyone -

I'll be watching for you and hoping for the best of outcomes!

I'm just barely ahead of you in the grand scheme (about 7-9 days?) Anyway, I am doing really great.

I am 42, have 3 children - 2 married boys and a 6 year old. My husband is in Iraq, my youngest boy in Kuwait, my oldest boy is a pilot for Mesaba Airlines. I don't have a lot of help at home when I get there post surgery. New neighborhood and I'm really the independent type and have a hard time asking for help. I feel great and capable of finishing this great adventure I've started on - at least right now.

If I were to give one bit of advice:

Make up your mind to be the best patient on the floor. Grateful, kind, thankful - at times (when I'm writhing in agony and throwing up) it is hard to remember this advice, but it has been worth it.

I have a friend who gets the scoop on the 'inside' and she tells me that the nurses like taking care of me. I get my meds on time, I get offers for blankets, 'am I sure I don't want more pain medicine', do I need a coke? How about some chocolate icecream instead of plain vanilla... etc.

Not to mention the nurse that spent all night getting my CT and MRI scans set up and done when I as having that allergic reaction.

I'm actually going to miss the hospital I think :(
  • Hello Lyn and welcome to the Surgery Buddy list,LOL:)

I am sooo excited for ALL 3 of us to get this going...

Julie, I am soo glad about your hand being better and that you are ready now....

I will so be thinking of you 2 when I go in...We will have to keep this thread going on how we are doing;):)

My Buddies:)

P.S.....Am I Larry,Moe or Curly...LOL:)

• I can't believe it has been over 2 weeks for me already. I'm doing even better than I expected to. If you haven't yet, look over the list of things that make life easier post-op. I can't tell you how grateful I was to have my trash bag on the front seat of DHs Durango. I slid in effortlessly! I wouldn't have thought of doing such a simple thing without that list. I will say that it was a long 50 minute ride home but easy in and out. Think positively and try to relax beforehand. I was so sick of the buzzing burning pain that I was somewhat excited to get the surgery over so I could finally heal. I wish you all the best and look forward to good updates from you all!

Kelly Jo
  • I can't seem to located the surgery list with tips to make things easier. Can someone help?
  • A couple of front snapping sports bras for wearing under my pj's..... I am a bit chesty and I don't want to be uncomfortable around my guests.

Lyn I will find it and bump it for you.

Thanks for the support gang!

• I'm sure you'll all get along just fine. It's always nice to have someone having surgery at the same time to converse with and share your stories with. Make sure you keep us posted throughout your recovery periods.

Sending Best wishes and hugs your way,

Christina :)
  • Ok, I am a few weeks out (7/8) l4/s1 and I have to tell you that the tanks with the bras built in are the best (Old navy) or where ever) you will not want th wear a bra after surgery and you can tuck this in to your pants covering your incision b/c they are pretty long.

Med dispenser b/c I cannot remember a thing with all of my meds in my system. I mean two seconds later and I have forgotton what I left on the counter :)

I do not like the crocks so I bought the sketchers (much cheaper 20.00) to go on my daily walks.

I did not need a can or a walker but the toilet riser is a must!!!

Best of luck gals, I will say lots of prayers. And remember in the hospital do not be afraid to stand up for yourelf- stay ahead of the pain.

I will be praying for you!!!!

See you on the flip side. Let me know if you need anything!

• Thank you all sooo much..I am very excited about this..I know we will all come out just GREAT!!!!

So did anyone tell me which of us is which??LOL....Larry, Moe or Curly...I pick Curly,LOL:)
  • Good Luck Next Week!!!

• My big day is coming up too. I am having a level 3 TLIF with instumentation on Aug 5th-nervous but ready to get it over with! Good luck to everyone else!
  • Thanks to all for the GREAT information. When I had my laminectomy I had no helpful hints and I made many mistakes that cost me a lot of pain.

Shay7721-Welcome. I am sorry you have to be here but, the group is kind and caring and will help you with whatever questions you have. I will be praying for you, too.

Polly, since my hair is board straight, I can't be Curly, so I am chosing Moe. I like it because I need Moe patience, Moe love, Moe pain meds-HA! you get the idea. Anyway, I sooo appreciate all of you and look forward to getting this show on the road. Here's to all of us and our wonderful outcomes! Moe/Lyn
  • :) We are now down to the nitty gritty :)

I want to Thank everyone for their support- we need all the help we can get.

Welcome to our little group Shay.

One of my local friend's wife just had major back surgery. Their suggestion was to have a basket with a notebook, and all of your meds in it next to your bed. That way when ever you take a pill you write it in the note book with the time that you took it. It helps when friends come over to help.

• Best of luck everyone! I will be thinking of you and saying a prayer for you!

Mel :)

• Yep its getting really close....we have to get up at like 3:00 am to be at the Hospital by 5:30 am....oh so early;(LOL

And thank you all for the love and support;)
  • Just wanted to drop in to wish you all the very best for your upcoming surgeries, let us know how it goes whenever you can get word out.

Take care

• Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! You will all be in my prayers! Let us know how it goes!
  • :) I just wanted to throw in my good wishes for you all to have beneficial surgeries and rapid recoveries. this should bind you all close to one another and that can be so important to your recovery. too bad they don't have "beds for three!" lol! anyway to be serious, the angels are watching over all of you! good friends and good medicine, what a winning combination! Jenny :)
  • Phospho Soda is the nastiest stuff ever....... If they think I am going to drink another bottle of this crap they have got to be kidding :sick: :sick: :sick: It is bad enough that I can only drink juice and broth- but this is ridicules.

Thanks Jenny and Cheeka :)

• Julie what is Phospho Soda????

Hey Shay, nice to meet ya;)We will be with you on your surgery too:)

Thank you guys sooo much...you ALL are making this alot easier;) Easier than my Mom is making it;(

OK....Larry and Moe...are you ready?? :)♥♥♥
  • Good luck Lyn, Polly and Julie!

May this be a wonderful new beginning for you all...

We'll be thinking of you!

Diana (Norcal_Gal)

• It is nasty stuff to "cleanse" your system.... My NS office gave me a bowel prep sheet. It involves drinking only clear fluids and taking 1.5 oz of Phospho soda and 4 glasses of juice at 4 pm and again at 9 pm. It makes me gassy, nauseated among other not so nice things.... To top it off the taste is disgusting.

I see no reason to take any more of this stuff.... there is nothing left in my system the pipes are clean.

Thanks Diana ;) Where in Northern Cali are you?

• my best wishes to three of you!

Good luck! G. 8)
  • JuliaA and Polly,

I am praying for your surgeries today, and will continue to pray for a great and quick recovery. I wish mine was today, too. Hang in there, I can't wait to hear from you both.

• I didn't have to 'clean the pipes' sounds like I really lucked out!!

Hey, I'm thinking of you all today.

I'm still in the hospital as well - thought I'd be out by now. Oh, well, it is for the best. At least I get to be hospital buddies with you all!
  • How are my Larry and Moe buddies recovering??

Please let me know...I kind of got lost in the recovering stage.....Unfortunitly I think I have more pain now then before;(

Getting up from sitting or laying down is sooo painful....my doc wont give me any more neds;(

Has not been good....now I dont even have the gas to travel up to see my surgeon.......