Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 Days Post Op

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
or is it 4 days?? I get confused - in any case:

2 level PLIF - Monday 21st
Wound exploration and debridement - Wednesday 23rd

Just updating you all.

The last 24 hours have been rather rough. I've been trying to go off the i.v. morphine.

I started with 3 Roxycodone (I don't know the dosages) along with Zofran and Robaxin. At first I felt GREAT! I was really doing well for a few hours - it was at night, I was sleeping and as long as I did not have to move I felt very little pain and just slept.

Then morning came. The room started to spin and I've spent the rest of the day curled around a big pink basin as I croaked and gasped and wheezed gagged up everything in my stomach.

Zofran was ineffective and was not touching anything, I was sipping Sprite to get some of the bubbles out and it helped a bit, but the nausea was immense. I was on a rollercoaster ride that never stopped. All I could think of was that I never wanted to see another pain pill in my life and I just wanted it out of my system.

It took a phenegren suppository to knock me out. At 3 this afternoon I woke with severe cramps from the gagging and being draped over the throw-up bucket and with a major headache.

Luckily all this has worn off. I am now doing much better with one Ultram (took at 3pm), a dose of Zofran and a Robaxin (took at 6pm). I was able to keep a bit of milk down along with some Cream of Mushroom soup (still on full liquid diet) and some soda.

I am in a fair amount of pain, but I would rather hurt for pain than for nausea and I will do anything to not repeat today.

I've been given the okay to have a dose of IV morphine to get me through the night, since my pain is rather intense. I will do that, take a walk while it's working and come back to bed to sleep it off.

I have big plans for tomorrow - Catheter comes out! Yeah. I'm not sure, but I might also get the drain out tomorrow too. My hematicrit came up to a 26.4 today - the first time it did not go down and I am definitely on my way to solid food, bowel movements and a release in a few days!

Still have the same amount of right leg numbness, but the leg moves, I can feel stuff there, it's just wooden and, well, numb feeling ;) If all I have to deal with is surgical pain and a bit of numbness in my recovery, I'll be a happy camper.

I'm sure there are going to be rough days ahead, but I am feeling less pain upon standing and walking every day and I am so glad that the nausea is gone that I could almost do a jig!

• You have had it really bad. I never got nausea from the meds but I can imagine what it would be like to deal with all the post op crap plus puking your guts out. For me it felt so good to have the cath and drainage tube pulled. I knew I was getting a little closer to going home. It was also nice to walk around without them dangling from me. Good luck to you and prayers for no more problems.
  • Amy I am sorry that this has been so rough for you. Keep hanging in there and maybe the turn-around is coming for you soon. I continue to keep you in my prayers.

Kelly Jo
  • to hear that you are going through all the withdrawal on top of everything else. Seems like it may have been better to save the withdrawal part until you were a little stronger? Can't be good to be stretching all of those muscles from heaving so soon after surgery. How long were you on the morphine?
  • how Ru Doing today?. yes I just had mt surgery for my anterior,posterior L4-L5 S1 spinal fusion about 6 weeks ago,and man I hear you I was so happy when I left the hospital after 6 days at my request. The cathader ,drains were out 1 day after surgery felt so good to get rid of that stuff.are u sure it wa sthe meds that was making u so nauseated?. the reason why i ask is because some people react differently to anthesea?or how ever u spell it??lol. when i was in ur place not to long ago it was pure hell,since after my operation no pain meds worked at all or with minimal affect that was the worst 6 days of my life. when u go home u will feel so much better theres something about just being in ur own bed ,and being around ur enviroment thats soothing at least to me it helped so much!!!!, I still ask the ortho surgeon what happened?,and why was i in so much pain no answers just "I dont know, and ive never seen that before" oh well I hope ur feeling better and at least ur sounding so much more postive than I was. Feel better.
  • Hi all,

I was put on morphine after the 1st surgery on Monday. The Dr. has no problem with me continuing it, but like some of you have said, it feels so good to have the IV and Catheter out that I wanted to go on oral meds instead of IV. Hence the move to not do the morphine anymore.

I have only ever taken ibuprofen and tylenol and one time I had robaxin prior to my surgery. I think the nurse and I figured out today that I have no tolerance for pain meds. We have cut down the Roxycodone to 5mg (I think it's mg) and she is standing by with a phenagren shot.

I did get rid of the catheter today, the drain was pulled and also the IV drip. I do have a closed IV for emergency nausea stuff, but we will see if I need it or not.

Thanks for the replies and info - it really really helps to know that I am not alone and you all are out there with information and help and soft cyber hugs :)

p.s. it's been 45 minutes since the one Roxycodone. I am dizzy but I'm determined to sweat it out and hold this one in!

• Wow salty- you are one tough cookie. When are you getting out?

PS/I'm a light weight on pain meds too!

• So far..

I've now taken the Roxy (1 pill ea. time) for 3 doses. I was okay until the wee hours of this morning when the nausea reared it's ugly head again.

I figure that if I need to do nothing but lay comatose, I can handle the pain meds. If anything requires movement (getting up to go potty) or the opening of my eyes (looking for my water) I start to spin and get sick again.

I was fairly well through this last dose when the nausea hit, so now I am sweating through it while sipping diet coke and nibbling graham crackers. (saltines and sprite are to reminiscent of the bad day I had on Thursday)

This too shall pass!!! I'll make it pass!

p.s. NS has not said much about going home since he told me it would be at least Monday. I am doing really well now that I have the catheter and stuff out, my only issue is figuring out what I can go home with for pain and what level of assistance I can get from family vs. what I need.
  • Sorry to hear you are feeling so sick, I know the feeling of being so queasy and its just terrible as there is nothing to be done to relieve it. Bad news that the sprite is now a no go for you, icy cold it was one of my only "safe" drinks in my early pregnancy.

I don't have any tips to help ease it, just hang in there and hopefully it will pass soon.

Take care

• Sorry you are having such reactions to your pain meds. Have they mentioned trying something different. Since you are so sensitive maybe something a little less potent would still work, but not make you so nauseaus. Also phergen, zofran, etc. also come as a tablet. Perhaps you need a script for the road when you go home. Hope you are feeling better, Sue
  • Cali-sue

You got it! I asked for a take home rx of phenegren (still don't know how to spell that one).

I've been able to maintain on the 5 mg of Roxicodone the last few days - doing much much better now.