Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hootie8987hhootie8987 Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hello everyone. After 18 months I had my thoracic mri. That explains what the hell was going on in there. I had a L4-5 fusion back in sept.07. I hurt my back while climbing a pole in jan.07. All of the drs treated my lower back and none checked my upper back. It has been bothering me since the accident at work. Now with a littie help from my lawyer things are getting done. here are my results, moderate diffuse hypertrophic degenerative changes with disc desiccation and osteophyte formation at several thoracic levels. Moderate disc bulging at T7/8, T9/10, T10/11 and T11/12 modrately impressing on the anterior thecalsac. Mild compression deformity of the T9 superior enplate appears chronic in nature. The PM dr said I need injections in there. I wonder where he will start first? My back is in bad shape it grinds between my shoulder blades when I move it. Does anybody have experience with thoracic injections or blocks.I need input please. Thanks again.......Hoot

• Hi Hoot!!
    Sorry to hear the issues they found.
    As I am dealing with similar except mine is more like surgery soon. As I have severe compression on the sac and mild cord compression effection some motor skills.
    I had a ESI done for my thoracic and lumbar. I can say it did help for almost a year. Not the lower of course but the thoracic.
    If offered to ya , ya have nothing to loose. Just make sure you do your homework and that you have a PM that does them all the time. I did have concious sedation with mine so I felt no pain until I awoke from the meds. It was a bruised feeling for about 3 days then it went away.
    I just want to wish you the best of luck in what u and ur dr decide.
    I feel your pain!!!!

Hang in there
    Terri ;) ;)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    Hi Hoot!

From what you posted, things in your thoracic area seem to be containable.... Containable but not pleasant. Anyone that has had thoracic disc problems/pain, fully understands the discomfort you have to go through.

Surgery is the last option for Thoracic problems. Luckily a lot of progress has been made in T-disc procedures. It still is a more complicated surgery than cervical or lumbar.

The Thoracic area does NOT respond well to many conventional treatments. Most Physical therapists and their procedures can not get deep enough to address some of those problems.

I've been dealing with thoracic disc problems for almost 10 years now and I have found only three treatments that provide any relief:

In order of pain relief and help
    1) Deep Tissue Massage Therapy
    2) Aqua Therapy/Hot tub
    3) Trigger Point Injections/ESI/Acunpuncture

The Deep Tissue Massage avenue best addresses the mid to upper back region, especially when the rhomboid muscle is involved. I've been having Deep Tissue treatment for almost 2 years now (weekly) and it has been the one saving grace for me and has been able to restore a quality of life I did not enjoy before. I also spent about 12 months in Aqua Therapy, followed by 10 months of Aqua Time (difference is the therapy had a therapist and Time used a technician).
    We also purchased a Hot tub and for the past 9 months I use it almost nightly.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you Terri and Ron I appreciate your input. My case is a WC and getting anywhere with them is like pulling teeth. I always knew there was a problem in the thoracic from my accident and my lumbar fusion surgery made it worse. At the time Iam fighting with them to get some injections in that area. My lawyer will be probably have to file a motion to get stuff done in the thoracic area. Thank you again guys.....Hoot
  • Your so welcome!!!
    Just wanted to add I will not be having surgery. They do not want to touch me till I cannot walk or loose bladder function. Such a SILLY thing to wait for but hey.
    I wish you the best of luck with WC.
    Im going to buy lottery tickets so I can win and buy a JACUZZI TUB!!!! 8) 8) 8)
    But the revision surgery on my lumbar may help with some of my pain. fingers crossed.
    I am back to pain managment after surgery to get some comfort for that darn thoracic area.
    WARNING TO ALL no mud wrestling at nascar races while drinking!!!! }:) :jawdrop:

HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!
    We are all there with ya.
  • I have a thoracic herniated disk, and have had injections. They seemed to have only helped for about a week, and then they wore off, and I actually felt worse afterwards. The shots were more painful then they were worth I am afraid. However, do your research and ask plenty of questions. I suppose it doesn't hurt to try, it works differently on different people. Good luck!
  • hello, I have had a thoracic injection. it helped quite a bit, but it is much more painful than any of the other injections. I would make sure they would do sedation or oral valium before the procedure.

make sure the physician has done thoracic injections, they should be an anesthesiologist. If this is WC, you are entitled to a second opinion that the company has to pay for. Look up any medical center in your area, most of which has pain clinics.

good Luck!!!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    I have had plenty of ESI's over the year. For Lumbar and Thoracic problems, but never for my cervical condition.

Overall, I felt that the lumbar ESI's had more success than the Thoracic ones did. At least for me. The lumbar ESI's helped for several weeks while other things were helping to corale the lumbar flareups I have had.

Now on the thoracic side, the ESI's really never helped.
    They didnt make things worse, but they surely didnt make any improvements. But that has been my experience with Thoracic problems overall. The T-discs just dont seem to respond to the same treatments as Lumbar and Cervical do.

Those that have known me for a while, now that Deep Tissue Massage Therapy was the one treatment that gave me back my quality of life. Aqua therapy was a close second and what I try to do from time to time is Meditation.

The mind is one of the most powerful tools we all have. Training yourself to get into a 'relaxed' state can do wonders. The use of all natural assistance such as
    - Aroma Therapy
    - Relaxation Music
    - Candles
    - Passive Yoga (chanting, etc)
    - etc
    What ever works for you as an individual is worth trying
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com