Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi everyone,

About a month ago I started having finger numbness while sleeping. This eventually turned into pain in my hand and forearm. I now find it hard to sleep.

Went to my doctor and was diagnosed with Carpal tunnel syndrom and given braces to wear at night. This unfortunately did not work and I went back to another doctor who has set me up for a MRI and thinks I have Degeneritive Disk Desease.

This is extremely scary to me. I have most pain at night in the top of my hands. Pain goes away if I sit up or rub them.Paim is worst while trying to sleep. From what I have read I may have a pinched nerve. The other scary thing for me is that I am claustrophobic and wearing a neck brace may do me in. Any advice?

• not to worry too much until you have something to worry about. wait until you get the results from your MRI. I know that it is human nature to worry and think the worst but, stress can really add to your pain levels. Have you tried hugging a pillow at night? So that you are not sleeping on your hands or arms? That has helped me quite abit. Good luck and please keep us posted with the diagnosis and your progress.
    BTW- I see that you are new here. welcome to the forum and please feel free to post anytime that you need to talk. We are all in the same boat here and understand how pain can effect your life.
  • Tim,

I'm sure it must be scary to think about the possible causes for your pain and numbness, but my advice would be to stay calm and wait for the results of the MRI. Once you know what the problem is, you can discuss options with your doctor and possibly get a second or even third opinion before making a decision about how to proceed.

Take care.
  • Its like having your car checked. Start with simplist of problems. Chances are it won't be carpo after they get the MRI.
    Best to relax cause it still will be a small situation. Think positive. I had been diagnosed with a cyst at first. Had an injection and no problems for a year. Well later on it got worse. 3 opinions later and a surgery no regrets here. Well I DID NOT like the opinion of the Neuro Surgeon. What a money hungry Quack!
    Best of luck on that.

That reminds me if any Doc out there wants you to stop seeing another and wants you to come to his office instead and start all over is just looking for the cash. Remind them that you want thier Opinion...