Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Time for me too!

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 547
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Stop Smoking
so I have been using the tips I got from www.becomeanex.org

I haven't had a smoke with a cup of coffee in at least a week. The craving is still there, but I can now easily drink coffee without them.

I no longer smoke in the car. Tough at first, but was probably the easiest to get past. I plan to ask my hubby to not smoke in the car anymore either.

I think I'm going to give the coffee thing two more days...

Which means my quit day will be Tuesday July 29th. I also will be using the gum... which has helped me before.

I have tried quitting many times. I've tried hypnosis, zyban, welbutrin, the patch, the gum. The longest I have made it was three weeks. I went to a RedSox game with some friends, had a few beers, and that craving kicked into overdrive. I thought ohhh I'll just have one. Ok one more wont hurt. By the time we were headed home, I was buying a pack of smokes again.

I am confident that I can do it this time. Because of my meds, I can't have a beer... so I don't need to worry about that. I've trained myself to drink coffee without cigs, so that shouldn't be too hard either *crossing fingers*

Everyone wish me luck!! Send some good vibes and happy thoughts my way. I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Soon to be an "EX"!

• I quit on July 4th and am still hanging in there. I have quit several times in my life but am determined to stay quit this time. I do know not to take that "just one" cigarette. You would think after being off them for awhile that the cig would taste bad. NOT!

I really miss my friend Nicotin. He was with me for 30 years and saw me through some good and bad times. I know that he is a bad influence and that our relationship was toxic. He is in prison now where he belongs and I will not go to visit him!!!

Come here to rant and rave, get support and keep us posted on your progress.
  • Love the terminology.

It is funny though. I remember when I had quit before, for those couple weeks. I couldn't stand the smell of cigarettes. Not in my car, after my husband smoked. Not on his clothes, not on his breath. I remember thinking, my god is this what I smelled like? I sure don't want to smell like that!!

Oh, but after a few drinks, the smell sure is wonderful aint it?

I just keep thinking now, I don't want my son to remember ME smelling like that. EVER. I want him to grow up, remembering the good smells. The smell of shampoo and lip gloss... yah know?
  • Hopefully you quitting will reduce the odds that your son will smoke. I didn't drink when my son was little because I didn't want him to have a mom that had bourbon breath when putting him to bed!!
  • Best of luck Amanda. I'm sure you can do it.

I quit on June 25th, the day of my surgery. I still crave it every day and I know I can't have a cocktail. So sad about that. I really miss my Vodka. lol

But this is best for us all. I'm hoping soon I can be one of those people who say "I'm so glad I quit". Right now I'm just plain pissy. :)

• Yeh, that about sums up my attitude also.
  • I woke up this morning so stressed out about quitting, I lit up. Not a good start. I'm going to work on it though. I have the gum, which I plan to use. Maybe starting in the middle of the day is better that starting in the morning. I don't know. To bad they don't have "rehab" for smokers. They should.
  • Hi Amanda,

Keep on trying, you will get there when you are ready.

Good luck,
  • Yesterday, was no short of hell. I think I smoked 4 cigs, and beat myself up terribly for doing so. I feel like today will be better though. As I type, I'm munching on M&M's because I have found that my computer is a terrible trigger. Our office is off the back of our apartment, the only room we smoke in. Didn't think about the whole trigger thing.

So my last two cigarettes were only a half, the last one being around 8 o'clock last night. I was awake most of the night, and really didn't have to fight to much to keep away from the office. I still haven't opened the box of nicotine gum, but plan to do after my coffee this morning.

I have decided not to put so much pressure on myself. If I can't do it this time, that doesn't mean stop trying. I'll keep trying everyday till I get it right. I'll even try medication again if thats what it takes. keep trying, keep trying. I know it can be done, I've seen it.

Now if only I could get my husband to quit...

Thanks for listening guys... hope to talk to you all later,

• Hey guys! Just checking in with y'all, let ya know I am still smoke free since Tuesday night. Things are going a lot easier than I led myself to believe. I have hardly used the gum at all. A few times while driving today, and another time because I had a terrible upset stomach. Does nicotine withdrawal cause nausea??? I'm thinking its my meds but who knows.

Anyway... I'm still hanging in there! Thanks for the support!
  • I really think that the first week is the worst. Hang in there. I am 4 weeks tomorrow and it gets a little better every day.
  • congrats Amanda. Take it one day at a time. I am 5 weeks smoke free and I've saved $210 so far.

Keep us posted!!!
  • Thats awesome!! I was just thinking that I am going to automatically transfer $5 a day, into my own little savings account. I think watching that add up will also be a great motivator!! And besides, I think I deserve a pedicure!! lol
  • $210 Yvonne? You were over a pack a day? I haven't kept tabs on the cost of cigs these days. Based on my calculation last Nov/07. I put them at $3.75 or so. I was down to 1/2 pack. I'm still almost $500 in savings.

Keep on going Amanda. Get past the first few weeks. The nicotine withdrawal gets a little ugly. Find something else to do for the times you want to smoke. It helps. Good luck!

• Cigs in Mass were over $5.00 a pack, and as of July 1st went up to $7.00!!!! Not cool, but a really good reason to quit... I'm up to $28 already.

Seems like my cravings are getting tougher... but I'm still doing good. Chewing a little more nicotine gum than I would like, but whatever helps right?

I also bought some blow pops, to keep by the computer instead of my smokes. The computer still is the hardest place for me to be without smoking. Something to keep me busy while playing on the PC. My friends in California are all lonely, cause I avoid my office like the plague!!! lol!
  • You see Z, up north here things are a bit more expensive. Smokes were $6.03 per pack when I quit. I was smoking a pack a day.

I'm up to $228 savings. :)
  • i stopped smoking for 10 years in 1985 then started in 1995 stopped in 2002 and have been on and off ever since i have got to the stage now where i know i need to give up .i dont want to because i enjoy them .i hate the smell {never smoke in my beautiful home} always in the garage .i am a morning smoker due to pain ..as it is worse then .nothing better {for me } than a cup of tea morning dose of oxycodone and a cig! then i will have a bout 15 in a day .but i know that i must quit ..ever since the start of the new year i have been saying to myself ..right .i will start tomorrow ..but come the morning come the pain and you know the rest!.but i am going to make an appointment with the smoking nurse today for Wednesday and get all the smoking quitting stuff on script wish me luck!!