Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how long does it really take

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:) Ok who knows how long it really takes for nerves to heal after you've had surgery done? I'm just over three months since my surgery and i still can't get off my nerve pills.I"m getting nerve pain every time i try to decrease them.Is this problem permanent or should i keep trying.I'm really hoping this is going to get better.Anyone? :?

• the docs told me just to stick to painedine ect as the drugs u get in hospital are adictive. and if u take them to long u will devolope a drug dependincy
  • Tammy,

If you have nerve damage there is no rule book for how long it takes to heal. It all depends on how long the damage has been there, hoe far the nerves have to regenerate and how damaged they actually are. Some nerves will not ever recover.

I think the answer is to talk to your surgeon about it. If he doesn't have any answers for you I'd advise you to find a good neurologist and become friends with him/her. They can do a nerve conduction test and find out the extent of the damage and deceide on a course of treatment for you. I think surgeons are kind of dummies about this kind of thing (no offense LOL).

Good luck!

• My surgeon explained to me that at the year mark that is usually where it will be......I am 17 months post surgery and I have nerve pain but also after an emc/ncv have nerve damage.....are you taking Lyrica? If not for my Lyrica I would be much worst off.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    Tammy, like Griff said there is no rule book for the time it takes for nerve pain to end.
    There are so many variables involved. Some include the time that your nerve roots were damaged before surgery, how long was your surgery, how involved was your surgery, etc.

After one of my surgeries, it took about 6 months for the nerve pain to stop. After another surgery it took over a year. Still after many other surgeries I have some nerve damage in my foot that is permanent (but that was a severe situation)

Always discuss this with your doctor. Let them help you best understand the problems and what your options are.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Tammy, I was told that nerves can continue healing up to 2 years. Up until recently, I could not feel any hot/cold touch temperature on the right side of my body. As you know, this all started with my first surgery (August 06). Just prior to my last surgery I started feeling "spots" on my right side where I noticed heat. I am hopeful that this will continue healing. So I would just say don't give up. maybe in time our whole nervous system can rewire itself!

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • my NS also noted that everything is closer together in your cervical vertebrae, since they are just smaller. so the nerves are easy to irritate even when you are healing.
  • With having spinal cord damage myself, both of my doctors have two different opinions about nerves healing. My OS has told me it could be up to three years for the nerves in my arm to heal, he used a 1cm per year figure. My NS has told me it could take 18 to 24 months for things to get better. If you ask me it seems to be a guess at best.
  • My DO told me it could be up to a year or so depending on how long the situation was around before the surgery. I'm having days here and there where I get a little bit of tingling but calls to my DO's nurse and she says it's very normal.

Maroseone, I see you in your signature that you had your hardware removed. Was that a necessary thing or was it because you had the other ACDF? Just wondering.
  • so everyone is saying relax and let time heal right! my nerve pain before my surgery was really severe,they couldn't get it under control so it will probably take a long time for it heal right!
This discussion has been closed.