Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Going out of my mind

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Matters of the Heart
I'm tired...I'm tired of the lectures about the pain meds from my sister who has the NERVE to compare having oral surgery to the surgery I need (and I'm talking about pulling teeth, not cracking her jaw)...I have TMJ as well and I can sympathize but every time I get depressed it's blame the meds time! Can't be because of the vase number of things that have gone worng!

And right now, I can hardly think straight! My meds aren't working so I had to make another appt with the PM Dr. and asked if they could put me back on the same stuff they used last time the percocet didn't work, since I couldn't get in until the 14th...I'm tired, I'm just exhausted and my mother thinks it would be a great idea for me to go off all of my meds until the 14th! Ha! She's lost her freaking mind, I can't just stop taking gabapentin and I'd give anything for a muscle relaxer that works as my lower back is in knots 24/7! Never mind the nearly constant headaches now, doesn't matter how bad the pain gets, I can't go to the hospital because I won't have a ride home (my mom sure as heck won't think I need to go...

I'm losing it kids, I'm so tired I can barely stand and I'm so sick of the crud spewing from their mouths that I could scream...I wish they had to live in my body for a week...We'll see how tough that oral surgery was!

Hugs and love to everyone, I hope you doing MUCH better than I am...

• sorry to hear about your pain and your sister! my sister is like that a lot too so i just dont even mention my stuff to hear 90% of the time. she just doesnt get it! i can offer a suggestion on the muscle relaxer that you were in need of or hoping to find. i take zanaflex and man has it saved me! i take 2mg twice a day and it really knocks me out so i take a half a pill twice a day during work and then at night before bed i take the full dose that way i can sleep! i hope that much will help you. we all know how it is here and i know how you feel, especially with family! sometimes you have to just let it fly and tell that person exactly how it is and how you feel and even where to go given that its necessary! lol hope you feel better even just a little bit! :)

all the best,

• I am sorry to read about your pain issues. I have mine too, but it always bothers me to read/hear about someone suffering.

I, too, have migraines. I thought for years they were just headaches. So a couple of things to consider that could help you. First, Magnesium. I take Magnesium Glycinate, it's over the counter and helps with muscle spasms too. Take enough and it will help with constipation, an added bonus, LOL.
    For a time I was having IV infusions prescribed by a holistic MD I was seeing at the time, of something called a Myer's Cocktail, one of the ingredients was magnesium and it instantly relieved the headache. I no longer have the IV's but still take Magnesium.

I also noted that MSG is a huge culprit in migraines. That means a whole new way of looking at food since MSG is in almost everything that is packaged or prepared. There are other triggers for migraines and any one or all of then could be your trigger.
    I started taking Lyrica this year and I found it helps with over all pain and mirgraines. I was taking 75mg 2x a day.

I take Soma for muscle spasms, 1/2 will give great relief most of the time. The only pain medication I can take that doesn't give me Hives or worse is Tylenol. Most people think that if that is all I take then the pain must not be high. This is a huge issue considering surgery is in my future. Hopefully, the psychiatrist will come up with some answers.
    You can't control what people think or do. If you think you need the services at the hospital, then go.
    And when you are at the pain management doctor ask him/her about psychological therapy. It's a very important part of pain management. Many times they have group sessions along with private sessions. Then you could have your mom come to one group session so she MIGHT begin to understand the complexities of pain.

I was in a pain management rehab program years ago and as of next Monday might be back in for P/T.

What do you use to help you cope with pain? Do you have any distractions? I use music, I sew, I am addicted to Sudoku, reading, my dogs.
    You can't let this totally isolate you, that only increases pain and the way we perceive it.
    Wishing you relief, Amber
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    That you will need to consider getting off the meds ...... THAT TIME IS NOT now.

Presurgical pain is the worst .... it is all uncompassing. Only people that have been through this can/will understand ...
    Be careful though .... I was on opiate pain meds for 4+ years to control my pain ..... Vicondin, Percocet, Oxycontin, and Methadone ..... 3 weeks post surgey I had a meltdown and needed to go into a medical detox followed by rehab ...... be-careful very careful.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Sorry to hear your sister is lecturing,you about your meds,ignore her....
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836

As I told you in my message earlier today, August 14th is a long way off especially when you are in pain.
    Yes, stay on the gabapentin(neurontin), at least that can help with some nerve pain. I am sorry that your PCP wont even write a script for a muscle relaxer. You do need something to help start to break the pain cycle you are in. And you have been on that cycle a LONG time now.

You do need a break, you need a chance to at least try to deal with your medical situation without getting judged, without some of your family members giving you a difficult time. That just wont allow you the time you need for yourself.

Is there anyway you can get some 'people' relief? Do you have any neighbor close friends that would take you in just for a day or so? Some place where you can just relax, perhaps soak in a bathtub, warm heat, etc....

Are there beaches nearby where you can go to be alone for a while? Something to help you.

Best wishes, I know you are going through a tough time and it just seems to get tougher.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • A day or two off from family is what would be best for you at this point. I can't believe the nerve of those people. My sister is an RN and I can tell you that every time I speak to her it's like going to the doctors office. I finally stopped talking to her and my life is easier. Sure, I'll call her again in the future but I needed time off from the crap- I have enough to deal with all on my own.

You do have a long wait, I'm sorry. I wish there was something I could do for you. Did you ask to be put on the cancellation list? If not, call them and ask. Maybe you can get in sooner.

Sorry I haven't been around much, I've been in the bad place myself and it's usually best that I keep to myself when I'm like that. PM me if you need to talk, okay?

• :) hi! i am so sorry for the pain you are in! as if that isn't enough in itself to deal with? mother's often have no idea what they are talking about. i just have to ignore that kind of stuff from my mom. if i want any kind of relationship, and i do, then it has to be on her terms. makes me really sad sometimes. probably just how you are feeling. so add some anger, sadness and pain together and your pain levels are going to go off the charts!! really try and relax even just a few moments at a time. then gradually more and more! take good care of yourself! Jenny :)
  • I'm so sad to hear that things haven't improved for you Nancy. I'm at a loss about what to suggest. 2 weeks is a long time to wait when you are in pain like this, because every day feels like a lifetime. I agree with everyone else, you need to try and get away from your family for a couple of days just to get a break. It's tough enough trying to live with this when you have support, I can't imagine what it must be like to be going through it while all the people around you don't believe you. If I was nearby you could come and stay with me for a while! As I can't do that, at least I can send you a hug and some prayers. Take care sweetie and you hang in there....
  • Hang in there girlie! Your appointment is still tomorrow, right?

Let us know how that works out for you.

Sending you hugs, happy thought, prayers and wishing you a good nite.

• Thanks for the replies and support guys and gals! I promise to be around more when I can actually sit at the computer and I feel terrible for not having been here that much and to not be able to read and help as much as I would like...I hope ya'll forgive me!

My appointment is tomorrow at 4:00 and I can't wait! I want him to do some trigger point injections to try and loosen things up (I was having muscle spasms in my scalp last night, it was weird and very, very painful although it may not sound it)...Plus I get my meds, which will be great! I've been off of everything for 10 days, and I'm not going to make it through to surgery date (which is unknown) without them...I haven't slept well at all never mind making it through the day, especially all of the rainy ones we've been having...I have no color in my face! And for once, my mom can't blame the meds! I told her she needed to come with me to the orthopedist in September so she would have a better idea of what's going on...

Jeauxbert- wondering if you have to be from Louisiana...The spelling has tipped me off and piqued my curiosity!

I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow! And thanks again for the replies, I feel like a big whiner, but hopefully I'll be able to sit at the computer for longer and play some more really soon...Love, hugs and good thoughts to all of you! >:D<
  • In the beginning..... I had some difficulty adjusting to my medication... I actually ran out too soon my first month; I made sure that did not happen again... But, it did about a year later. I was out for about a week. Having been off them for that long (can't imagine 10 days!) I noticed that while I felt they weren't working because of the tolerance issues or whatever, when I started taking them again, they worked better. So, I said all that to say, maybe you'll have better results since your body has had a chance to "detox" a bit. ? It could happen! Best of luck on your appt tomorrow.

And, you nailed it right on the head (or however that saying goes). I am from the great soggy region known as Louisiana.

Take Care!
  • any possibility that you could go apply for low income housing? your rent would probably be zero. Some places have emergency housing and if your parents were about to put you out or make you move you may be able to get a place quickly. Then you may qualify for food stamps and medicaid. just a thought. I really hate to hear of what your family is putting you through on top of everything else.
  • I hope that things go well today Nancy. Let us know how you got on! Hugs, as ever! Spicey :)
  • 'm baaack, but not for long...Got my trigger points, he was about to give me a shot of toradol but I had to drive back home...He was really concerned about me, says I really need an ESI but with my trial limbo and waiting for medicare/medicaid, I have no way of raising $3000 to have one done...So he did trigger points and didn't charge me for them (I love him, I swear he's such a great doctor)...

Gave me samples out the wazoo of my Cymbalta, Nepro-something (anti-inflammatory), Voltaren Gel and Ultram ER along with scripts for mepergan and clonopin and said to double up on the robaxin instead of one...I am on ice and started crying when he injected my neck, but I know I'll feel better later!! My mom gave me a valium as I couldn't get to the pharmacy before it closed and have to drive back to his office tomorrow because he forgot to sign one of the scripts, but that's no biggie...I can't be mad, he's such a good dr.!

So I think things went well, just trying to make it through and I know the mepergan will help. Gotta go lay down, I hurt so badly and my blood pressure was HIGH from the pain! But I know the trigger point will help and I'll feel better in the next day or so...Thanks so much for the support guys, I doubt I could have made it through the past week and a half without it!! >:D< :X

Love to you Spicey and tons of hugs and Jeaux, great to have some one else on here from or in Louisiana!! And love and hugs to you to of course! ;) And papa Ron and Mama Griff and everyone!!
  • ...that the new meds kick in and make things more bearable for you. Get plenty of rest for now and let us know how you're feeling when you can. Big hugs, Spicey