Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

epidural without local?

avaccaroaavaccaro Posts: 76
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Spinal Injections
I've been lurking on these message boards for awhile, but never got around to posting anything on them.

I'm almost 21 years old and have horrible back problems. No accident, just congential I guess. Last year I had one epidural injection that didn't help at all, but it could be because I never went back for the remaining three. The outpatient pain clinic I went to charged my insurance as outpatient surgery and I was left with a $750 bill that I couldn't afford. Needless to say, I skipped the last 2 injections.

I had a laminectomy and diskectomy on L5-S1 June of 2007. I was doing okay for a few months, then pain returned again.

My doctor is over an hour away and the drive is sometimes too much for me. A few weeks ago I made an appointment with another doctor closer to my home and right off the bat he wanted to do an injection. I figured I would try it again.

So, last Friday (8/25) I went to the office and before I even had a chance to ask any questions, the doctor sent me to get prepped for the injection. (At the last one I had last year, I was given a muscle relaxer and they used a local anesthetic to numb my back.) This time, the radiology tech cleaned my back, turned on the fluoroscope, and the doctor came in and administered 3 huge needles into my back. I felt each one go in and out and it f'ing hurt. I was then released right away without any monitoring after the injection.

I've been in tons of pain since the injection, but I believe that is to be expected? At least for a few days.

Anyway, My question is, has anyone else gotten an epidural without a local? I wasn't too concerned about not receiving a muscle relaxer, but I was really uncomfortable feeling huge needles being injected into my back.

Sorry for the long post. :/

• I just returned from one of my Dr.s' and He's scheduling me for a SI injection (Lidocan & Celestrol). Is this similiar to what type of injection that your having? I have to have a "driver" and wait an hour post injection to see what reaction I may encounter.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Over the past year, I think I have read 1 or 2 members who said the same thing. No sedation given prior to the injection. Plus some stated there were multiple injections and they were give in the doctor's office.

Most of the time and for safety reasons:
    1) Epidurals are administered in operating room like conditions
    2) Some form of mild sedation is given
    3) Only 1 actual injection is done. (Refer to Spine-Healths details on Spinal Injections , Spinal Injections
    4) Procedure lasts about 15-20 minutes
    5) Patient is placed in a recovery room after the procedure for up to 15 minutes
    6) Vital signs are taken to ensure that the patient is ok after the procedure
    7) Patient is only released IF there is someone to drive them back home.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • That's exactly how my first one was done last year, but the outpatient clinic didn't charge my insurance as an "injection" but rather charged as outpatient surgery. ($35 copay for an injection compared to $750 for outpatient surgery)

This last epidural was in the doctor's office. He had a fluoroscope there and it took less than 2 minutes. He seems to be giving injections to almost all of his patients because he never ever takes off his lead vest, not even when he's just meeting with a patient. I guess it's just a fast, easy way for him to make money and he doesn't really care about the patient's comfort. :/

He wants to see me back in 1 1/2 weeks , but didn't specify if he was doing another injection. If he is, I think I might refuse it and try to go elsewhere.
  • I had 2 steroid injections today. It was not a pleasant experience from the very beginning. The procedure was scheduled to be done at an outpatient imaging center. After waiting for an hour, they finally took me back. Their idea of pre-procedure care was to take my blood pressure and have me lay on my stomach on the table. They didn't even have me gown. The doctor had told me when we scheduled this that I would receive valium pre-procedure. When he came in to get ready I asked about the valium and he said that it would be over so quick I wouldn't need it. He was wrong. I was on that table for over an hour. The ONE injection he told me he was going to do, turned out to be TWO injections - one at the L5S1 level and one almost directly over my tail bone. He did use a fluoroscope but I couldn't tell that it helped. He put the needles in but then had to dig around because he couldn't figure out exactly where the nerve was. He said it was because I had so much scar tissue. I asked him what he expected because I've had 3 fusions. We already knew I had significant scar tissue and if he had paid any attention to my records, he would have known it too. At one point I had to tell him to stop because I was about to be sick. He stopped for a couple of minutes and then went right back to it. When he was all through, the assistant slapped a couple of bandages on my back and they sent me home.

My appointment was for 8:15, I went in a 9:30 and I got done at 10:50. By noon I had a severe headache and I've had some bleeding from the injection sites. I started running a temp a couple of hours ago and right now it's at 100.3. I called the doctor and he called back and said no worries. I told him I am NEVER doing this again. It was one of the worst experiences I've ever had.

So, now I'm just trying to keep occupied so I won't stress any more than I already have.
  • Cathy, I am so sorry you had that experience.

I think you are right, you should probably have had some kind of med before the procedure, knowing that you have scar tissue.

I have had two ESI's and one facet joint injection, without any medication beforehand. All three were no problem at all for me, but I don't have scar tissue like you do.

The fever you are having, and headache would be worrying to me. If they haven't improved, I would call the doctor back again. And if he still blows you off, I would go into the ER.

I hope that you are feeling better by today though. Please let us know how you are doing.
  • I have had 2 lumbar epidrual steriod injections both without any sedation. The doctor injected some numbing medication first, but I only felt some pressure with the actual steriod injection each time. These were given at the L5-S1 spot.
  • I had all 3 of my ESI's and one SI with the FJI along with it. I was sedated with 5 of my injections. I like my doc but is looking in to getting another one he isn't doing anything but giving me injections all the time that don't work. I think my toughest one was the myleogram I later after that had Spinal headaches and had to get an blood patch done.

Most docs are their for your money but others are their for your pain and want to see you get better. I had back in my younger days a doc giving me an ESI without an sedation but won't have it now, I like my versed/fentanly with a little pain meds added later just before I go out the door. :H