Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Meds

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just a question. I see so many people talking about post op pain control. I have been taking pain meds since March, so I know that I have developed a tolerance for them. Currently, I am taking 1 to 1 1/2 Percocet 10mg every 4-6 hours, usually every 4 hours.

Is this alot? Will this be enough to make pain control difficult? I talked to my pre op nurse today and she said to make sure to ask my surgeon to order a pain medicine pump. I called the surgeon and they said their PA would be there the morning of surgery, and to ask them, shouldn't be a problem.

These posts about horror stories re: pain control post surgery, I am starting to get freaked out. I am not wimpy, but don't have a really high tolerance for pain.

My surgery is Wed, and I would appreciate someone with experience to answer about those meds, if that is alot, etc.

Also, I have Crohn's disease, and I am not allowed to take any anti inflammatory drugs, aspirin, etc. If I want to be completely off narcotic pain meds asap, what would be a med that I could take? Just needing some input.

Thanks bunches!Lyn

• Hi Lyn, can you take Aleve? (I have ulcerative colitis, and it has always worked the best for me.)

I had a pain medicine pump in the hospital, then was sent home when I could swallow Norco again. Part of the pain issue though, is what is causing it. Nerve pain doesn't respond well (or at all) to narcotics. So I was on Lyrica before and after surgery to help with the nerve pain, along with the Norco to help with the surgical pain. Later I moved onto Aleve.

It is easy to freak out, but time does pass. I remember just watching the clock in my hospital room getting some comfort in the fact that every hour that went by was one hour closer to pain-free. And pain is pain, if some people are better at it (my mom, god love her, can't tell me enough times how high her pain threshold is) well, good for them. I'm not. I'm good at other things. ;)
  • so much about taking too many meds. What you are taking is miniscule! You will not become addicted. If you need it for pain use it. It is peolpe that like the feeling or take it when they are not in pain that may become addicted. Don't suffer in unneccesary pain because of your fear of pain meds. I used to be like that and really suffered needlessly. Good luck and keep us posted on your surgery.
  • If you are going to have a fusion, the surgeon "should" install both a drain and a pump which provides a Novacaine-Like drug (~2mg/hour) throughout your stay. That will relieve massive incision and hardware installation pain.

You probably will be provided with Toradol for muscle spasms and a pain reliever like morphine; these will both be through your IV. For oral pain relief, you most likely will be given Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, or the like.

For the Mental Aspect of your surgery and recovery, I have been taking Lexapro to control depression (very mild blues) and anxiety (the scardies/tension).

If you are worried about addiction, tollerance, etc from your drugs, take matters into your own hands and document in a spreadsheet (or just a notebook) what your pain level is and what you are taking / doing to manage it.

I found the spreadsheet very insightful and actually indicated when I was doing to much (causing pain) or to little(which causes pain too).

Best Wishes and all my best to you for Wednesday
  • two percocet 10 mg every 4 hours before surgery and they had no problem controlling my pain after surgery so dont worry.

Christina :)
  • Wow, I love the idea of the spreadsheet!
  • If you said I did not catch it. If you are having a fusion you should not take any NSAIDS now or for a few months after surgery as they can interfere with fusing. For other procedures such as discectomy they may be an option. Too bad cause Toradol IV is a great drug for pain relief post-op. My surgeon said I will get a PCA (patient controlled analgesia) pump of dilaudid. I am very interested in the epidural infusion of xylocaine/whatever cause that sounds great. My ceserean patients get something called astromorph where they inject intrathecal morphine in their epidural catheter prior to removing it. They usually have good relief for the first 24 hours, but they do itch, feel hot, and get nausea and vomitting. (better than pain, though) The PCA can work well, but like all IV pain meds they have peaks and valleys. Usually oral pain meds have a more steady relief because they are longer acting. For the PCA, the doctor often orders a dose range, so the nurse can adjust it if need be. Of course it has a maximum lock-out, so you can't over-medicate. (hopefully not, sometimes we turn it down if the patients resp. rate is less than 12)
    Anyway, good luck, and here's to great pain relief for all of us Spineys!