Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

two weeks postop......what to expect long-term

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all. My name is Ian. I'm two weeks post-op. I underwent an L4-L5 & L5-S1 laminotomy/laminectomy. Not sure which procedure was used. The reason for this post is because I'm hoping to gain a fellowship with people who've underwent the same procedure, or who can offer any advice on a long-term prognosis. Why am I concerned with the long-term you might ask. Well, because before the onset of the symptoms caused by the nerve impingement I was an active individual. I weight-lifted, ran, and the like. I understand that to expect such a recovery within two weeks is unlikely, but what can I do so I am able to return to my previous lifestyle? Supplements? Diet? Exercise? And if so, what? How many? When? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. God Bless

• Hi and welcome.
    Glad your surgery is over.
    Did you have any hardware put in also????
    The questions you asked , well there really isn't a answer for any of them.
    Everyone recovers at a different rate.
    Those are really questions that should all be brought up with your Dr at your post check up appt. ;)

Iv read previous posts and some go back to doing things soon, others longer, some not at all. So it depends on how well the surgery recovery goes.

I had a fusion and it took months to start doing the "normals" again. I'm still not perfect but I have other issues to contend with right now.

We can all be here to support you through your recovery through your ups and downs. Plus the good days.
    We can give out personal experiences but to tell you what you can and cannot do would be up to to the surgeon.

I wish you the very best of luck in your recovery. Make sure to walk, walk, walk. It helps the healing process go much faster.

Hang in there!!
    Let us know how you make out.
    :) :) :) :)
  • I think the best advice I have heard so far is to NOT OVER DO THINGS

Take it easy. Heal. It's much easier to get better if all you have to do is get better - no trying to recover from the latest incident of overdoing things.

I've discussed this at length with the nurses and PT people over the last week as I've been taking my walks around the nurses station. I asked them if they see a lot of repeats, or people that end up coming back -

so take it easy and allow yourself to heal. One year of taking it easy is nothing compared to the rest of your life.

Oh, and by the way - my DH had a discectomy 7 years ago. He never thought he would get his life back. Now he runs, has gone back to his highschool weight, lifts, bikes, plays ball - everything he wants to do. He even re-joined the military ('course now he is in Iraq! - Silly Boy)
  • TerriJV,
    Thank you for the response. I appreciate any/all info you can offer. No, I didn't have any hardward put in. Yeah, I kind of figured that. And I know that too; we all recover in our own time and in our own way. You see, I'm a very black/white person, so I like to put conditions on everything. It's a battle, because I know life doesn't alway work according to plan. Yeah, I walk daily. Is it normal that towards the end of the day that the pain might worsen just due to the stress and tension from normal day-to-day activities? Also, is the pain caused more so from the surgery,e.g., the moving around of the underlying tissues, or is there still nerve impingement? Can you clarify any of that? Thank you.
  • Hi, i underwent an l4/5 double laminectomy microdiscetomy on june 25th, so im a little over 4 weeks postop.

The first 2 weeks were the worst for me, horrible pain trying to get from sitting->standing and from laying->sitting in my back near the inscision area.

But after that it got a lot better.

Just take it slow. The biggest risk for re-herniation is in the first 6 weeks. You should really really avoid lifting anything heavy for a while until your doctor clears you. My doctor has already told me he doesnt want me to lift more than 15lbs for basically the rest of my life if I can avoid it. I had a very severe herniation..

As for activity level, I can do almost any sorts of exercise now. I had this herniation for nearly 2 years and the last 6 months (after i finally got it diagnosed as a herniation and not just leg pain) i was basically cripple, could barely walk. So my activity level has gone WAY up..

You will go up and down in your recovery.. One of the mistakes i made was trying to do too much too soon. I felt a LOT better than i had in months and months so I tried to do a bit too much activiy and i ended up going backwards in my progress for a week or so.

You will be back to normal soon, just give your body enough time to heal. You might feel great one day but don't take it for granted and try to do too much! :)
  • I haven't had exactly the same surgery as you but what the others have said is absolutely right - you need to really make sure that you take it easy in the beginning to make sure that you don't over do things. Then gradually build up your activities. It takes a lot of patience but after the surgery you've had, doing too much too soon will just cause a relapse if you're not careful. If it helps, it took me a couple of years but I did manage to start running again after my surgery so there is hope! Do you have a physiotherapist? They should be able guide you in the early days.

Good luck, Spicey