Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 days post op and going home

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Got the news this afternoon :)

I get to go home tomorrow!

I have a long list of to-watch-fors and I will have a home health care nurse 3 days a week to help my 'ambulate', check my meds and shower. Probably have that help for the next 2 weeks.

My stitches are all the absorbable ones so I don't see my NS for 3 weeks.

I am to watch for increased swelling in the right (the numb one) leg, along with footdrop, weakness or pain - or anything that is worse. I'm to notify NS immediately in that case.

No sitting longer than 20 minutes per hour.
Eat as well as possible (I'm still recovering after needed the blood transfusion)
I've told my mom to make sure they put a garbage bag on the Suburban seat so I can slide in and out.
I am to recline at 45 degrees on the way home and I must be released into 24 hour adult supervision - geez, no partying for me! ;) LOL!

I asked my NS if I was being slow about healing and he told me I wasn't - but that you had to take into consideration that I had 2 major surgeries, not just one.

I asked him if I could do the Storytelling Festival (part job, part love of it) at the end of August - he doesn't sound like it's possible - darn :(

I am determined to follow directions, take it easy and just heal. Better than landing back in here in the next year.


So long to open-backed gowns and catheter checks
3:00 am blood draws and failed IV's

So long to looking at my food from underneath it and getting noodles stuck in my straw

No more announcing through a speaker that I need help to go potty


Here is to no longer feeling like a bug that has been skewered to a card :)


  • Paul - yes I have

    It will be 9 days come my release day tomorrow.

    That second surgery really tuckered me out I guess :)

    I have not been using a shower seat, so I think I'll forego that one.

    I have frozen foods all set in the freezer for blending with protein.

    I've even got my cell phone cord already pinned to the bedcovers so I don't lose it.

    --- hey but CHRISTMAS - a 3 level??? I'm glad you had a good time, but dang - that's just not cool for anyone to have to suffer through!

    P.S. That pre-op list from Kincaid was VERY helpful!
  • YAY! I know you are glad! I'm happy for you and I hope everything goes great from here.

    Now get busy healing lady!!

  • I hope recovery is easy and quick! I also spent last christmas miserable and in major pain due to lack of preparation and not knowing what to expect! I wish I would have found this site pre op! Good luck and keep us posted.
  • But just remember to take it easy, even if you think you feel better. You can hurt yourself quite easily without even knowing.

    Best Wishes,

    Christina :)
  • I'm spending my last night in the hospital nursing a Prune Juice and Milk of Magnesia Nightcap, followed up with a Diet Coke chaser :D }:) Got to give these bowels one more chance before check out time!
  • Hey Salty,
    I thought that we agreed that you didn't need to have a story and that everything was going to be boring and mundaine. 8)
    Well you just about take the cake. Talk about an attention seeker! ROLF

    Seriously, I hope all goes well at home, take your sense of humour with you as it will be needed, along with the patience and ability to ask for help.

    Blessings Sara

  • Hi Saltz:

    You have had quite a stay in the hospital. I had two separate ones. I had my TLIF, L2/3 in Sept. 2007, was in the hospital for 5 days. Then about a week later I had emergency colon repair surgery, was in the hospital for 6 days. I also had a transfusion...low blood volume and low iron. I was also on IV food with a pic line, what fun.

    Two things to think about when you get home...
    don't get constipated
    don't overdo it.
    I wish you the best in your recovery!

  • Welcome Home Saltzy!
    You crack me up :) You have such a great outlook on it all and that is truly inspiring. Now go forth and HEAL! I hope your nightcap was a success. I bought myself a big bottle of Miralax to keep in the medicine cabinet, just in case. Hey I've noticed you are a diet Coke fan. I myself have a fetish for Diet Pepsi. I have been weaning myself off of it though cause I have heard/read that the phosphoric acid in it leeches the calcium out of your bones. Scarey thought for a fusion patient. Hope your first night home is going well. Sue
  • ""I am determined to follow directions, take it easy and just heal. Better than landing back in here in the next year.""

    Good! :)
  • Angel, Ellen, Cali - you all just crack me up!!

    Angel- I really did think I was going to be a basic boring surgery spiney didn't I? Well, I still think of myself as a success story, I just have to work harder at it :)

    Cali- I AM Diet Pepsi!! Diet Coke was all the hospital had. I actually told people they could not come in to see me in my post-surgery state unless they came in carrying a cold Diet Pepsi for bribery ;) My 6 year old told me I was rude to say that! }:)

    I did wean myself of the DP addiction prior to surgery, I might just have to stay off it for that phospher-stuff now though!

    I did have my mother pick up Milk of Magnesia along with my RX's yesterday - got to keep the plumbing happy!

  • I had my last diet Pepsi yesterday, I think :?
  • It is a sad day - but good for you Cali - and good luck.
  • Hi Saltz and others:

    FYI - I drink Diet Pepsi, not in excess. I fused in 6 weeks!

    Walmart brand stool softeners are cheap (for the plumbing).


    I was working back up to 3 a day, what, that's 36 oz. I'm really hoping that's not excess. Today I was going to just go for 24 oz.

    My mother picked up the Rite-Aid generic, it's not working so far. Not that I've been giving it much opportunity. I still might have to go with another prune juice/MOM mixer - suck.
  • Hi Saltz:

    Dried apricots will help keep the "system" moving as well. Costco sells a large bag and they are pretty tasty. I like them better than prunes.

  • YUM!! I LOVE dried apricots - and you say they work just as well - YEAH!! You saved me Ellen!
Sign In or Register to comment.