Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can't get comfortable anywhere!

JoyJJoy Posts: 559
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Help! Any pointers on how to get comfortable again? No matter what position I put myself in, I can't seem to get comfortable unless I go to sleep! I'm 4 weeks post-op and thought I'd be further along in the healing process than I am. Sometimes I think I just can't stand this constant pain anymore! Even taking the meds, I still hurt!
advertisement

Comments

• :)

Pillows.

I'm on about 7, staged at various places under me.

I'm pretty comfy... for now. Hope you find some relief quick.

Kelly Jo
  • I find that a nursery school sleep mat (if you remember those) and 2 pillows under my knees so they are drawn-up while I lay flat on the floor helps a bit....

Mostly I find that only a temporary relief, so I usually get back to the bed and lie on a side, pillow between my knees, and lightly drawn up (semi-fetal) to be the best.

What meds are you on? They really should help somewhat. Can you tell if it is a muscular pain or a bone/instrumentation pain? If you can isolate the exact type of pain.... radiating, localized, movement restricter, or just flat-out painfull all araound your doc should be able to get you some relief

Best Wishes
  • with everyone else. And if the meds are not helping call your doc for something else. There are lots of options and having that much pain will increase you recovery/healing time. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Laying on one side or the other with a pillow behind my back for support and a pillow between my knees was the best however my hips got sore after awhile and I had to get my husband to help me roll onto the other side.

Hope you find some way of getting comfy soon.

Christina :)
  • You mean I have another 3 weeks of this?? No, I know it, I know the pain is not going to go away for a long while - I just got kind of freaked when you are so much farther ahead than I am. And you described what I am feeling so perfectly - not a single position doesn't make me feel like I've not been skewered in my back. When do fall asleep it is for very short periods and I wake in frozen agony - can't do anything but squirm in pain.

Egads, must be late and all my mental filters are turned off - I usually cope better than this.
  • I found that if I time my sleep around my meds or better still my meds around my sleep it helps.
    I know that about 20 mins after I have taken the endone (morphine based), I suddenly get tired and a bit driftly. So I am ready to get into bed. Chances of sleep are a lot better if you really are ready to sleep.
    Hugging a pillow often helps too even just for the comfort value.

Sweet dreams
    Sara
  • I'm on Neurotin twice a day and 1-1/2 tabs of hydrocodone every 6 hours. The last 1-1/2 hours before taking meds again is horrible. I was doing so much better when I could take them every 4 hours, however, my doc is VERY conservative with meds. I can't isolate the pain very well. My lower back burns, feels so very heavy and an area below my waist about the size of my two hands spread over the area just plain kills me. I'm overweight, old, and a smoker, so I figure it will take me longer to heal than most, but this is getting to me! Sorry to be such a whinner...I know so many of you have been through H--- and I should feel blessed.

Thanks for the hints about the pillows--will see what I can do with them!

Best wishes to all of us!
  • Heating pad helps my mom some, if just the comfort of the heat (she's 77 y.o). Pillow under the knees. We also have a sleep number bed for her that's on a very firm setting. That also helps in getting up and out of the bed.

Lortab doesn't really touch the pain... maybe takes the edge off. I've heard Epson salt baths can be soothing.

So sorry you hurt. I'm only a caregiver and I'm amazed at the courage of ALL of you suffering from such severe chronic pain! Keep your chin up! Think POSITIVE! Imagine yourself at all times, well, and pain free. I'm a big believer in positive thinking...
advertisement