Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I can't wait to actually communicate with people who can understand.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in New Member Introductions
I have finally decided to post after checking in here a few times. I am a 37 yo man in the Midst of getting a refferal for Ortho#2 after my GP told me I should consider dumping Neuro#1. 2 months and still not much change.I have been told (by the Neuro)I have Just a few minor bulging discs and neuropathy and everything should be fine shortly. Still not fine though. Pain one place one hour somewhere else the next hour. Nights are brutal. Life in general is brutal. Sitting,walking and standing hurt. I was also told that due to the MRI readings and how I had just hurt my back I should not play golf for at least a year, preferably..never.

Anyhow, I am usually not this down but I had to get it out to you all.I am awaiting a refferal for an Ortopedic Surgeon and my GP is trying to get me a Microdiscectomy at my urging. It's been on and off for 7 years and I cannot let this keep controlling my life. Any Advice would be appreciated.

Thank you and keep up your good work.


  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are having chronic pain problems. you are probably wise to move on to another doctor if you are not satisfied with the first. it can be a struggle to receive proper treatment and even get a diagnosis. you seem to be finding this out! are you unable to sleep tonight? (i am seeing if you are paying attention) lol! anyway, perhaps a change in meds and a visit to a pm doctor would be of benefit as well. you may do well with trying some conservative treatments for awhile. have you tried any besides meds as of yet? good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • Hi SB,

    Welcome to Spine Health. Bummer that you are having to play the doc merri-go-round, but at least you have a GP that seems to be willing to help you out. That's a plus.

    Since we all don't fit one specific "model" when it comes to pain and neuropathy, it can be difficult to get some docs to "wake up and smell the roses". In that case I found the best thing I could do was to just keep being persistent and keep looking until someone listened. There's only so much that shows up on an MRI and a good doc will listen to the patient and figure out from there, what could possibly be the problem.

    Best of luck!

  • have you considered doing this procedure in order to be sure that the pain is actually coming from the disc before surgery is done?
  • I figured if I did have the surgery I would have the discogram done to know which (if any) of the two discs were causing the pain. I have heard it is not a fun exam so I am not looking forward to that, if I indeed have to.

  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    Hi Sleepybear,

    I think the best thing you can do is get a second or third opinion on your condition. Then let them decide on what diagnostic testing should be done. The decision on what testing is warranted can only be done by physicians.
    Folks here can make recommendations (MRI, Myleogram, discograms, etc) but those decisions are based on clinical evaluations and because of Insurance requirements they all need to be justified.

    What were some of the reasons why your GP told you to get rid of your Neurosurgeon? You mentioned that based on your MRI findings, you should not play golf for a year or longer.
    What were some of the MRI reports provided by your doctor? I know many people with multiple spinal lumbar and cervical surgical procedures that are playing golf today. Every situation is different, and those decisions again are left in the hands of the medical professionals.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • For your advice. I do understand that everyones recommendations are just that, recommendations. My PCP (who I trust) suggested that If I have been to this NS and this little has changed it may be time to get another opinion. Not to mention front office problems with referrals getting "delayed".

    The "no golf rule" came from my NS (and my wife) as my most recent injury was while playing golf. I am a decent golfer and was playing better than I have in years. I was just hitting a short shot and felt that "catch" that we all have felt and within 10 minutes on my way home in horrible pain. The NS said the twisting motion along with the amount of my disc desicattion on both levels and height loss It would be a "bad" idea to play for up to a year or more. Anyway,If you play golf you will know that along with the 9000 other thoughts going through your mind you DO NOT need..Is my Disc going to come flying out of my back on this swing?? So golf on hold for now is OK. This is compounded by the fact that I work in the Retail golf industry and have great new clubs that all I can do is stare at. This is all the more reason I want this to be over. No work,No golf. No Happy!!

    I am really just in schock that in 2+ months more has not been done. I would actually like to get back to work, but know that is still impossible. I feel guilty because I LOVE my guys and I hate they are stuck in this predicament.

    Looking through the message boards earlier I noticed people talking about getting second or third opinions and bringing in just the MRI films without the report. I am going to start doing this now because every DR. I have seen has just read the report and not even glanced at the films.

    See you still learn something new everyday!!
  • and actually I was only asking a question. I did not make a recommendation at all but I am glad to know that you had considered that.
Sign In or Register to comment.