Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

12 wk multi fusion check. Answers to pain & BMP

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 12 weeks now (OK tomorrow) ;) and went to have my check up today. I had seen the OS 6 weeks post op and all was great with the exception of a few sharp pains in the right side of the glutes.
Over the last 6 weeks this has gotten worse and I did go to Doc for more pain meds. These helped a bit but didn't remove the pain. I have been continuing with PT, exercise physiology and hydrotherapy.
The last couple of weeks have been the worst and I have found that I can no longer do things I could do earlier due to the pain, such as going up and down stairs.
So needless to say I was glad of the chance to see the OS today. He had arranged for me to have a CT scan beforehand.

SO, (he is sooo good) always listens to my history first and how I am feeling, what I can/cant do etc before even looking at scans or paperwork!
He explained that he used the BMP with bone from laminectomy for the fusions and why he did this and how it helps to promote the fusion growth.
He then explained that sometimes when the fusion is starting to take place with the BMP to the vertebrae it can create "osteolysis" which is where the vertebral bone softens (temporarily) while it is fusing with the BMP mixture.
He has been doing research on this and had just presented a paper on it! :D
He said it causes an inflammatory response which he could see in the scans. So he said even though I am in pain it is good news as it is proving that the fusion is taking! :)
So I go back in another 6 weeks then 6 again after that so he can keep an eye on it all.

And the best thing is I feel better knowing that there is nothing to worry about. He did say to cut back on some of the more strenuois exercises while the bone was softened- like bending from a sitting position, and the exercise bike but to keep walking, hydrotherapy and gentle ecercises.
So I will sleep better tonight. ;)
Blessings Sara