Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Anyone lose their driver licence

Today I received a letter from the Department Of Transportation.  After opening up, it informs me they are recalling my driving privileges.  I am losing my driver licence. Now I know a doctor has sent this info in to them.  And the department wont say say who. It just says This decision has been made by comparing your medical information with the standards recommended by our Medical Advisory Board.  They will reinstate it when my condition improves. I have a T4 to T10  fusion that is not going to improve.  I do take mild pain pills, cant bend, twist or lift much. Walk with a cane.  Driving is different for me now. I just go slower and  stay in the right hand lane. Looking over my shoulder is somewhat hard. I have many conversation with the doctors that I do go to. They ask what I do, What i'm able to do and driving. How can I say I can drive with ease? He knows I cant twist and turn. Especially in a sitting position.  As my problem was a fall at work and lucky to be walking.  The surgeon said this is as good as it gets, better than a wheel chair.  I not old at 51. Not one of my doctors will release me to drive. Then they would be held accountable for if say I would have an accident.  It could be for any reason, but they will say it was because of your back. I sit home now and watch life go by. I could at least take a short drive to kill some time. My wife is always saying is there someplace you would want to go so I can get something done around the house. How can I now.  Has anyone else had their licence taking away for a back injury.  
Greg fisher
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Wow, that is rough. Do you have any friends, family or neighbors who can take you out? I was housebound for about 4 months and it was difficult. Do your doctors expect any improvement? 
    Ellen 

• gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 193
    Its just the freedom of taking a drive.  I might drive about  6- 12 miles a day total.  Go to Walmart or Lowes and walk around.  Kind of hard to ask someone to go out of their way you drive you someplace. Do have a wife and kids who are dealing with it. But my doctor said, it is.. what it is. Could be a lot worse. I know I could fight it and get it reinstated, Maybe.  But need a doctor who will sign me off.  Then retake my driving test.  I know it was the insurance IME who started this.  He asked a lot of questions of what my life is like.  And what I do. Its hard enough to deal with pain, losing your job, not being the person you used to be.  I feel old am im not.  
    Greg fisher
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,627
    I fully understand the freedom involved wihen you can drive yourself.  I too only drive a few miles each day (5-15) and when its a longer ride my wife will drive.   Just knowing that you dont need to depend on someone, its a feeling of independence that is good.

Medical doctors will contact the DMV when they believe that you no longer are capable of driving a car safely.  They can cite many reasons, but all the DMV needs to hear is that a Doctor says you should not drive.

At what point do you think your doctors will feel that you are safe to drive again?  Do you have to do any type of tests?
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 193
    This is all new to me.  No I cant actually twist to look over my shoulder.  Just use mirrors or ask the person next to me.. Ok, is it good to go? So if I do get a doctor to sign off on me. I still have to take the driving test. And im not so sure I will pass if I dont turn and look.  Im not sure when.. if ever i can get it back.  Just something else to deal with.  Not bad enough to deal with the back problems, depression,  meds and doctors. Now this. 
    Greg fisher
  • memerainboltmmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 1,356
     Did the doctor not discuss this with you before he did it?
     I gave up driving a couple of months ago on my own. For my own safety as well as others.
    It was hard letting go of that freedom even though I didn't get out very often. It was just one more thing I had to let go of being a spiney. And when we have to let go of something, why do we have a hard time "asking" something of others? Would we not do it for them?
    And then the guilt sets in. Well, don't let it. I'm sure you've done a lot for others. And now it's your turn. And this might not be permanent. 
    A lot of us here have lost a lot too so we understand. I'm older than you are, retired, but had to because of my back. Until a few years ago was still riding my Harley,4 wheeler, fishing, traveling. I was very, very active. Now I'm on total bed rest. But nothing is going to keep me down. I see a new neurosurgeon soon about a pain pump. I look at it this way, if they can't fix me at least my pain level will go down. Still have the Harley!! Lol
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Looking over my left shoulder is no picnic and I avoid certain on-ramps where I can't see oncoming cars. But I know not to share this with anyone. I know my limitations and adjust accordingly. But see how elderly people that still drive? Some of them are quite scary. My son saw one lady driving the wrong way past him on a parkway! She went right by him in the other lane. If this was to happen to me, I'd be talking to my lawyer to see what my options are. I need to drive! 
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • memerainboltmmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 1,356
    LTee, did your doctor contact the BMV or did he just tell you not to drive?
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,786
    From what I have read and recall - Physicians are under a legal obligation to report to the DMV ANY patient that may have a physical or medication induced lesser ability to operate a motor vehicle.  My license was revoked due to my medical condition(s) and medication(s) I was being treated with.  

It is a simple case of a serious law being applied.  Who initiated the action is not the concern.  The physicians, state, and law enforcement officers are simply looking out for your own protection ..... and the protection of all others on the road. 

Driving is a privilege - not a right.  If any signs of diminished physical or mental capacity is documented - That privilege shall be revoked till such time you can demonstrate otherwise AND have a physician sign off on your viability.

It is a long road - that has few turns.

MN
  • Sadly, i see myself giving up much of my driving as physically its very difficult to turn my head enough to see
    Not to mention climbing in and out of cars
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

•  I think this varies from state to state. On a questionnaire you're asked if you have any medical problems that may impede driving abilities. The last thing I need is to lose my DL. I've been on strong meds and have had surgeries, but never caused an accident. I'm extra careful on the road. If I'm having a bad day, I stay home. It's scary when a doctor contacts DMV without your knowledge. I don't drive as often as I used to, and I try to keep it short distances. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
advertisement