Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 Level fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Lower Back Pain
New to this forum and just want to share and have someone who can understand what I am going through. I ruptered S1 and L5 in 1992 at work. I was working for UPS as a driver and for the next 13 years managed to continue my job with the help of injections and meds. The pain of coursed only continued to increase. In June of 2005 the pain was unmanageable and went to see my surgeon who I had been seeing since the original injury. Well a discogram revealed a third ruptured disc at L4. Hoping for an FDA approval on multiple level artifical discs I waited until August of 07 for my surgery. I really didn't have a choice at that point due to pain and increased use of opiates. it has been almost a year now and my pain has actually increased and my meds haev also. I am going in soon to have the hardware removed, assuming that the fusion is complete. I had a hardware injection done and did get relief from that so am really hoping that this works. I can't even bend over to put on my pants or pick something off the floor. My knees are now cracked and bleeeding from being on them so much. And the pain meds...OMG they are destroying my life and everyone around me. I am taking so much and for so long that I think I'm normal when I know I have completely changed. I am scared to death by the thought of getting off them, but that is a whole other story. Thanks for letting me ramble...

• I have no experience with fusion, so have no answers or advice for you. Someone will get back with you soon tho, I'm sure.

Just wanted to say that this a good group of people, and just about any condition or problem you are having, there is someone here who can probably help.

Good Luck!
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,371
    You may want to consider an inpatient medical detox program instead of weaning off.

I slept through my week in detox and can barely remember a thing about it.

My prayers are witth you,

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• as it seems you are still having complications from surgery. several members have had their hardware out and can probably relate to your situation. Terri
  • :jawdrop: Tom, that is a lot to deal with. I can relate on a few of your issues.......the meds and the constant pain.....and the fusion. I only had a level one last August.I was born without my tailbone being fused to my spine so after 31 years of my life, a doctor finally found the problem and after 3 years of everything you can imagine..I had a fusion. I am in more pain today,a different kind of pain than before. It was not so long ago on a ton of pain meds........I have been weaning off for a couple of months. IT IS VERY HARD. To say the least. I had a SCS implanted the end of April this year. It helps some....I wish you the best..........
  • Hi

I think this is the first post that I have read that has made me feel queasy and sad at the same time.

My option other than 'live with DDD and bulging discs' is 2 disc replacements and a 3 level fusion.

Your story is why everyone keeps telling me to keep going with the exercise regime and tramadol, but like you, I'm getting to the end of my threshold, and I Totally understand why you had the op. It is ok for others to say Live with It, and something else doing that and still trying to have a life and be the person you once were. I have changed and everyone says they wish they could wave a wand and have the old me back..... I tell them that's what I wish too.

Keep posting and you'll find a lot of support. I am going on holiday for 2 weeks, but would love a PM from you to check how you are getting on

All the best

• as hard as it may be please try and keep a positive attitude. maybe you will be pain free when they remove the hardware and then you can concentrate on getting off the meds. There is a med called suboxone that is supposed to be really good at relieving opiate withdrawals. I have heard excellent things about it. So, when the time comes, please ask your doc about it. Good luck and please keep us posted with your progress.
  • I had a 5 disc fusion and graph plus 2 rods and 10 pins and screws put in, L2-S1 my Dr told me the hardware stays in . this was 8 months ago, i have an really bad aching when i over due it and also still have some dead areas from the surgery, Dr says this type surgery takes 2 years to totally heal. I weaned myself off the vicodin but still take from time to time when i over due it ( which is almost everyday 50-60 hrs a week mostly on my feet at work) I dont know if this will help but good luck!
This discussion has been closed.