Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Saw my surgeon today - he is pleased

malawmmalaw Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I saw my surgeon today (1st time since surgery on 6/9) He is very pleased with how I am doing. Ask if I had done any PT. Reminded him that I went to Rehab center and then I have had PT at home. Will start at office now. I can drive - if I feel like it. Take a tub bath (YEAH) and go to the pool and hot tub. He is ordering me a bone stimulator and more pain meds. I got the dream ortho. surgeon! He explains everything to me and did before surgery and none of our questions are not taken seriously. He did remind me that I had major surgery, and a little older and I am going to hurt, but I can go to work August 25. All the doctors in this ortho. group have been wonderful. Have seen knee, arm/shoulder, hip, nerve testing and some for "I have a pain here - what is it?" They all take me serious and explain it to me so I can understand

I don't have to go back to my surgeon until end of September and maybe(?) we'll see a little bone growth.
I did do too much walking and standing after we left his office. So I am paying for it tonight and then 101 degree weather didn't help. Thank God my daughter was driving cause I took a pain pill on the way home and dozed for a minute or two several times.I am going to miss my afternoon naps when school starts.

Just had so share my good news.

• Good to see your recovery going well,it was 61 degress here....
  • It's great to hear your coming along so well and that youve have such a great surgeon to work with.
    Keep up the great work and remember not to push yourself to hard.

Best Wishes,

Christina :)
  • Good news!
    I'm surprised that your doc waited for the use of a bone growth stimulator, mine was given the day I was released from hospital.(I don't know what is normal) My NS said this really helped new bone growth, I had two grafts. The belt itself was a little uncomfortable because of the shape but you do get use to it, especially since this one you can take off after the daily time schedule was done. LOL

Everybody is different in the healing process, one thing that I have learned through all this is to start putting my health first. I went back to work with the feeling I had to prove myself and its been really hectic since. Sill learning.

My advice to you is to be aware of your own pace not anybody else's. You have been through so much and should be proud of your accomplishments!

• Love hearing the good news!

Love even more hearing that there are wonderful, communicative, awesome docs out there to help!
  • Your comments mean as much to me as the surgeon saying I did good. Yeah, I'm going to have to watch my boss. Don't think he understands that healing is going to take this school yeat - that I will slowly be getting better. My saving grace is that NO ONE wants my job. We even have trouble getting me a sub when I have to be gone. I can't understand it - these are perfectly nice children - if you get your bluff in. They say that they behave better for me "because your Ms. LAW and we are all the same". Oh well, I am beginning to get the summer antsies and need for school to start.
    I start going to PT at the clinic on Friday. They will work my butt off. This is the same clinic I went to after knee replacement last summer. My daughter tells me she needs me to take next summer off as far as surgery - she needs the break.
  • I'm so gald that your recovery is coming along so well! That's really wonderful news about going back to work, I know from you previous posts how much you enjoy that!

Don't overdo and get as much rest as you can before then.

Take Care,

• That's awesome news! Do you have help with getting your room set up? I know they take everything our of my room in the summer to clean the carpet, and I always have to rearrange things before schools starts. If I remember you have ISS kids?

I was teaching Autistic forever...this year, if and when I'm released to return to work I will be moving to the Intermediate School as in class support. At first I had to mentally wrestle with myself. It took me a few days to decide it would be a good change. I love the autistic kids, but I think this will be a good change for me. What's funny is I'm going to have to learn the curriculum....I haven't taught a regular education curriculum at any level in more than 10 years! These 7th graders may be smarter than me.

Good luck to you! And get youself some muscle help to get the room together. Even buletin boards can be tough....lots of stretching. SO BE CAREFUL....I want to continue to hear positive reports. It gives me hope!

• I have a lot of "repeat offenders" that love being with me. They plan to not dress correctly the second or third day so they can come see me. They will then turn into slave labor.

Yeah, they empty two rooms at a time and hopefully you will get the same furniture and boxes back. The room I am in is an old library so have plenty of shelves. We packed every thing into the shelves that we could, but no way does my little drawing mean that my room will go back like it was - usually not even close.

I'm with you on the curriculum. I retired from the classroom in 99 and no way would I go back now. Besides, as I tell the kids when they ask about my retirement - "I'm still getting even!"

Hope we both have good years!
  • Isn't it great when even the Doc is pleased.
    And it sounds as if you have hit the jackpot with your surgeon/s and that clinic.
    Keep it going at a good pace. (Like you I tend to overdo it at times )

Blessings Sara