Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Chronic Pain
i noticed that everytime i have back surgery,4, i get edema in my foot ankles and leg which gets worse everytime. i went to dr and i do not have congestive heart failure. i don't have trouble breathing or have a cough and all of the other symptoms. have any of you had swelling in foot legs and or ankles? it is troubling, but dr reassures me that it is not that bad. it is so bad now that i am getting ulcers in my legs. water pills do seem to help some but she is going to up my dose and i am to get kidney checked this week
any input? any of you have edema which is not heart related?
your swollen friend :jawdrop:
jon i'm tellin' about my swellin' and hope i'm not dwellin' cause things in my life are not jellin' but for dinner i like to eat mellin'
once again
jon :? :jawdrop: :sick:
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

• I'm not telling you this to alarm you, but rather to give you some information about a disease that my mom had. She got a pretty bad cold- bronchitis in around March of 2004. She just never got over it. She began to feel very tired all the time, her mouth was extremely dry and her feet and ankles began to swell. She had it checked out, but didn't find anything. She went back home to see if the swelling would subside. Well as time passed, she had increased swelling in her feet, ankles, and it began to go up her legs. She also began to have shortness of breath and a tightness in her chest. Checked out again, they still didn't find anything. They gave her some Lasix to take to try to remove some of the water off of her tissue to no avail. Now time had passed and it had been April, May, June, and now July and she was feeling worse. They performed some blood tests, but it didn't show much, so they admitted her to the hospital to run more tests and a biopsy of her liver. Although none of the tests indicated cancer, that's what they were expecting. After doing some tests and a biopsy of her liver, she was found to have Systemic Amyloidosis. It mimics cancer and if you have the right doctors to diagnose it and treat aggressively, there is a chance to halt it. Unfortunately, my mom wasn't in the best hospital and hadn't ever treated it, so my mother lost her battle with it quickly. By the time we learned what it was she had, she passed within 24 hrs.
    Again, I'm not trying to alarm you. This is just something that I have learned through a horrible experience.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859

Even though I have not had any spinal surgery since 2000, I have had additional herniate discs and numerous flareups.
    From time to time, my ankles and feet would swell up. As you said, its not anything related to congestive heart failure or that path.
    There were a couple of things that did trigger this situation:

1) Lyrica. When I increased the dosage of lyrica, swelling started from my knees down to my toes. Once I dropped back the dosage, that stopped.

2) Problems with RestLess Leg Syndrome and Thoracic discs. For a while I was sleeping on a couch with my fee dangled off the edge of the couch. That went on for a couple of months. My Deep Tissue Massage therapist noticed the swelling and after telling him how I was sleeping, warned me about circulation problems doing that. As soon as I stopped sleeping like that, the swelling went down

3) Medications in general. I am on so many different mediations and I am not a water drinker. Once I started to increase my water intake, the swelling went down

I hope its something like that , so that you can figure it out and also not continue to get that swelling.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I also have swelling actually all over my body but I have had it in my feet and ankles since I was a kid. I have noticed that it is much worse since I have been on the pain meds. I have always been sensitive to salt and have done my best to avoid it. Now I am having swelling in my feet, ankles and hands. I am just getting ready to make an appt with my doc about this. Be careful because when you are retaining fluid like that it can easily settle in your lungs also. I swelled up really bad last year when I was taking Glucosomine and Chondrointon for my arthritis. I did not know that it is extremely high in sodium and I ended up with pneumonia. Please keep us posted with your progress and I will also let you know if I learn anything earth shattering at the docs.
  • get blood test manana. mostly test kidneys. lungs and heart are good with no congestion in lungs and heart is beating strong and no arthamia in it. it could be kidneys or just sitting on my arse for 3-4 months without any exercise at all. i can't do anything from 6-8 months ie can't lift anything over 5 lbs and can't bend or twist etc
    i'll keep all interested in touch with what is happenin'
    jon 8) :sick:
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I have fluid build-up in my abdominal area. Mine started fight after steroids and I have been asked when I am due. :? :O I don't know if you got any steroids but I always retain fluids for a long time afterwards. jade
  • Hello Jon, I just read your problem about edema and what my mom found out causing hers was her medicine. As someone else had mentioned sometimes your medications can cause alot of the problem.She cut back on one of her meds. and it was much better.(sorry,can't remember name of med.) Also I was wondering if you could give me some info about hardware removal, PLEASE. I am suppose to be getting mine removed on aug. 19 and like to know what to exspect, how long is recovery? Is it as looong and painful as when you first had surgery done? (fusion) Does the doc. use same site of surgery as he or she did the first time or is it new area and cutting through more muscles,etc;? What kind of problems was hardware giving you that led to removal of hardware or is it just stardard time frame that everyone has hardware removed? I hope you don't mind all the questions, but I have searched everywhere for someone that knew of this surgery, and could tell me anything at all about removing the hardware, I ask someone about it before on this site ,but never heard any answers back. It was really the HARDEST recovery I have ever had (recooping from fusion)to do,and iv'e had many other surgeries, but the spinal fusion was no by far the WORST. It's been about a year and a half now since spinal fusion and the hardware is giving me lots of pain and problem. At least thats what my ortho. surg. says alot of pain is from. I'm very small (under weight)and he says I don't have enough body fat or padding and hardware is actually pushing out and thats why so much pain, can't even lay on that part of back or sit up against anything that back will touch. Sorry so long winded,just can't beleive i can finally ask someone who knows about this. Hope you won't mind getting back to me on this. Thank-you so much, smallfrie Anyone else have in put please let me hear from you, the more info. the better!! You can e-mail me if better: fishinwu3@cox.net
  • my pain guy triied to get me to go off oxy when he first notied my swelling last year. i told him i always have had it and i wanted to stay on the oxy. he did not hastle me after that. but i think he used edema as an excuse to get me off oxy and go to methadone instead. what a whus he is. he should come out and tell me instead of making up excuses. well by taking water pills, the edema seems to be controlled. i have no breathing problems or cough that means congestive heart failure. they think it is due to laying on my ars all summer-4 months- and not moving or anyting at all. edema can be serious but it is also quite common when you are older llike me-61 but i am an adonis greek god to look at if i lost 60 lbs. like dad said, i may not be the best looking guy in the world but i run a close second. this is a joke if you don't have a sense of humor like some on this board
    your joking and handsome friend, yo soy uno machino de amor.
    juanito or jon 8) :) ;) :D :P :sick:
This discussion has been closed.